104. Callie

When we got home, I told Mom and Dad about how there were so many people and they were trying to talk to me, and no one was interpreting. Even though I can read lips, I can't read them that well. I got overwhelmed and scared and wanted a quiet place. Which Dad kind of laughed at because everywhere I go is 'quiet'. Mom shot him a look, but he wasn't wrong. I wondered again if the hearing test would even be worth it.

Mom and Dad, and Granny and PopPop all gave me hugs and told me they were sorry. That they hadn't realized I'd gotten separated from them and that I'd gotten overwhelmed and had had no one to talk to me all night. I hadn't even had a chance to go downstairs to see Bronx and Saint. They knew a little sign language, too, because Pete was teaching them some when he had his lessons, and Bronx said it was a language option at his school, so he was taking it so he could learn to talk with me, too. If I'd managed to make it downstairs, I would have had people to talk to at least a little.

I felt badly that Mom and Dad, and Granny and PopPop felt bad, and I felt bad that I made them leave the party early. Dad kept saying it was fine, they were ready to come home anyway, but I wasn't so sure about that. Dad likes parties and probably would have been wanted to stay longer.

I went to bed after we talked about what had happened, and I still didn't feel much better. I was going to concentrate really hard at the hearing test so that they wouldn't be disappointed if I could hear some.

I fell asleep feeling pretty okay. Nervous about the hearing test, but there were still a few days before that was going to happen anyway.
In the morning, Mom and Dad were already downstairs when I went downstairs. PopPop was at the kitchen table reading the newspaper and Granny was nowhere to be seen. I said good morning to Mom and Dad and PopPop. Mom had made waffles for breakfast and Dad was being a goof, playing with the dogs.

Dad came into the dining room where I was eating breakfast.

"Good morning," he smiled at me. I smiled back and signed 'good morning' back to him. Penny and Bogart sat beside me looking up hopefully.

"No, silly puppies," I signed and smiled at them.

When I was finished eating breakfast, I cleared my plate and put it in the dish washer and then helped Mom clean up a few things in the kitchen. Once done, I went into the living room where Granny was sitting and flipped down in the couch beside her, grinning at her. She smiled at me and pulled out her phone.

"Good morning, my beautiful girl," she typed. I blushed.

"Good morning, Granny," I signed slowly for her. She smiled back at me and pulled me into a hug.

Dad came into the living room and asked if there was anything I wanted to do today. I could t think of anything. I didn't have any homework, since we were on break now.

"I have some shopping to do," Mom said, signing as she came into the room, too.

"Can I come?" I asked. Mom smiled and nodded.

"Go get dressed," she said. I was still in my pyjamas.

I ran upstairs and got dressed quickly. I pulled on jeans and a t-shirt and threw a hoodie on top. I bounded down the stairs where Mom was waiting with her handbag and keys.

"Granny's going to come, too, okay?" She said. I grinned and nodded. The three of us set off.

We were gone for a couple of hours. Mom stopped at the butcher, the grocery store and a couple other stores she wouldn't let me come into.

When we got home it was lunch time but I wasn't really hungry having had a late breakfast, so I sat at the table and nibbled on vegetables.

We spent the rest of the day relaxing, watching Christmas movies and eating popcorn. I looked at the tree Mom and Dad had put up. There were a few presents underneath but I knew it to expect much. Christmas is usually disappointing anyway. I tried to pretend to be really happy and into the holiday, and I did see my name on a couple of the gifts under the tree, but they were from Granny and PopPop and I'd seen them put them there.

And it's not that I wasn't happy. I am. I have a whole new family, for real, for keeps. I remembered previous Christmases. In the Children's Home, we sometimes got a small, cheap toy that had been donated. Once I got a book, and I cherished it. Until Natasha stole it, then tore it up. It had been the only book that was only mine. I'd cried when she did that. All that got me was more bullying because I 'cry funny'. So I knew not to expect much here either.

We spent the day being completely lazy. Before I knew it, it was bedtime. All we had done was sit and watch TV and eat. It was one of the best days I'd had in a while. Just hanging out with my grandparents, my parents and the dogs. I went to bed with a smile on my face. Maybe I wasn't getting many presents but I had a whole family. I didn't need any cheap gifts. I'd already gotten the best one.

It was the shaking that woke me up. I panicked because I thought it was an earthquake. But when I opened my eyes I saw Dad standing over me with a huge grin on his face.

"Merry Christmas!" He signed, his grin expanding even more.

I blinked at him and looked at my phone. It was 8 am. I groaned and flopped back down, my face into my pillow. Dad rolled me over and picked me up. I tried to protest. I wanted to sleep more.

Dad put me down and smiled.

"It's Christmas! Santa came!" He said.

Santa? Santa never comes for kids like me. I didn't see any reason to be so excited. Dad looked at me quizzically.

"What's wrong?" He asked. I just shrugged. He sat on my bed and pulled me to face him. He made me look at him and sighed again.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I signed.

"It's not nothing. It's Christmas. Santa came. Why aren't you excited to see what Santa brought you?"

"Santa doesn't come for kids like me. And besides. I stopped believing in Santa a long time ago," I said.

Dad looked sad.

"I'm sorry," he said. I just shrugged. "I promise. This year, this year has to be different. You need to come downstairs and see the tree."

"Why? Has it changed suddenly?" I asked. Dad smirked.

""Come on," he said, standing up and taking my hand. I followed him downstairs, not expecting much.

Mom, Granny and PopPop were all in the living room with huge grins on their faces. Mom came over and hugged me and said 'Merry Christmas'. PopPop and Granny did, too. PopPop and Dad both pointed excitedly at the tree. It was overflowing with presents that hadn't been there the night before. I was in awe. Dad showed me most of them that my name on them. And instead of 'from Santa' (though a few did say that) they said 'Love Mom and Dad'. Something I barely remembered having on Christmas presents when my birth mom was alive.

Tears filled my eyes and I hugged Mom and Dad and then Granny and PopPop.

We set about opening presents. I got books and clothes, stuff for my room, tickets to a hockey game with Dad, a day at a spa with Mom, and maybe one of the best gifts I've ever gotten, another piece of art from Anna for my room.

Mom made gingerbread pancakes and we had breakfast. The doorbell rang and Dad told me to go answer the door.

Standing there was Santa and an elf. Stunned at first I didn't know who it was. Then I realized it was Kala and Zack. I smiled as they signed 'Merry Christmas'. Mom and Dad came up behind me and smiled. They gave me hugs and Mom and Dad ushered them into the house. They both had bags with more gifts in them. I determined they couldn't have anything for me. I'd already gotten so much from Mom and Dad and Granny and PopPop.

Mom and Dad ushered us all back into the living room and Zack and Kala started handing out gifts.

They handed me a small envelope. I opened the envelope and it was tickets to a basketball game!

"I thought we could go," Zack signed to me. "Just you and me, if you're okay with that."

I grinned and flung myself into his arms. After the situation in New York, I was somewhat unsure about Zack. He'd seemed okay afterwards, but something seemed, to me, slightly off.

"I can't wait," I said. Zack smiled at me. Dad and Mom also looked on, and gave me a hug.

"Zack asked if I thought you'd be okay going with just him and I thought you would be. I was right, wasn't I?" he asked me. I grinned and nodded.  Christmas had turned out to be so much better than I was expecting!