90. Callie

I was excited. Today was the school science fair and I'd done my project on how I listen to music and about vibrations and sound waves. I'd worked really hard on it. Mom had helped a little but really, I did it all.

The science fair was during the day and I didn't expect Dad was going to have time to come but the awards were being handed out at two thirty and Mom said he'd said he would be there.

When the awards ceremony started, I saw Mom in the audience, but no Dad. She shrugged and looked sorry. I was just mad.

I won first place and Dad wasn't even here to see it. It was because of him that I even did the stupid project and entered it into the science fair.

When they handed me my award and certificate, I thanked them and then stormed off. Mom followed me out.

"Don't you want to stay for the reception?" Mom asked.

"No," I said simply.

Mom didn't say anything but just drove us home.

I left the certificate and medal in the car. I didn't care about it. I went up to my room and slammed the door.

I guess the novelty has worn off?  Either way, Dad didn't seem to care about me in any way. He never made sure he was home when he said he'd be.

Mom came in around dinner time and asked if I wanted to go out to eat. I said no. I wasn't hungry. Mom knew I was upset and she knew why. She tried to convince me to come eat. I didn't want to. Mom said she'd check on me in a little while but to come down if I got hungry.

I didn't and I fell asleep still in my clothes.

It was about three in the morning when I woke up. It was dark out. I could see a light under my door but I ignored it. It went off after a while, anyway.

I must have fallen asleep again because my alarm clock woke me up. I groaned as I stretched and rolled over. Mom knocked on my door and then opened it.

"You're dressed?"

"No. I fell asleep in my clothes. Do I have time for a shower?" I asked.

"If you're quick and you're okay with cereal for breakfast."

I nodded.

I went into my bathroom and took a quick shower and got dressed again in clean clothes. I had done my homework and that was all ready downstairs.

When I got downstairs, mom asked which cereal I'd like. I asked if we still had Corn Pops. She said we did and poured me a bowl. It was the end of the box.

"Your Dad's going to be sad if he is in the mood for Corn Pops," Mom said, smiling. I shrugged. I didn't care.

I ate my cereal and drank the milk in the bowl. When that was done, I put my bowl in the dishwasher and told Mom I was ready to go.

"I think Dad's awake. Let's give him a minute to come down and say goodbye," Mom suggested.

I picked up my bag, opened the door and went outside to wait by the car. I didn't want to wait to see if Dad would bother coming to say goodbye.

Mom came out a couple of minutes later and unlocked the car. I got in. As we were pulling away I saw Dad in the doorway with a cup of coffee. He was waving at me. I turned my head away.

Mom dropped me off at school but grabbed my arm before I could get out of the car.

"Dad is working very hard right now. He knows he's messed up. I'm not making excuses for him. But I do want you to know, he's very sorry he's missed everything lately."

I frowned at her.

"If he really cared, he'd make sure to be where he said he'd be," I said, pulled my arm out of Mom's grasp and got out of the car.

The school day was alright.  My teachers were great and with Christmas coming soon, we were winding down some of the units we'd been working on in our classes.  I didn't have a lot of homework and did some of it at lunch to get it out of the way.

My friends and I joined some other kids out on the asphalt and played basketball with them. I'm not very good, but it was fun.

At the end of the day, I went out to the front of the school and saw Dad's car. Dad was standing beside it. I was still inside and he couldn't see me. I frowned. Why was he here?

I rolled my eyes and pushed open the door. He saw me and smiled. My frown deepened.

"There's my girl!" He signed.

I opened the back door and got in. I sat right behind the driver's seat so I couldn't see him if he signed.

"No front?" He asked. I crossed my arms and looked out the window. Away from him.

He got in the car and started driving.

When we got to the turn off for the house, Dad kept going. I panicked. Where was he taking me?  Was he taking me back to the Children's Home? 

"Relax," Dad said, when he saw I was panicking. "We're going out for a treat, just you and I."

I frowned. I didn't want to go out for a treat. I wanted to go home, finish my homework and continue pretending he didn't exist, since he didn't care that I did, apparently.

Dad pulled up to a place near the beach. I refused to get out of the car. Dad walked away. Of course he did.

He went into the building. I stayed in the car. I didn't care what he was doing, I didn't want to be here. But I wasn't going to walk home from here. That I knew was a long walk.

Dad came back out with an ice cream cone on each hand. I rolled my eyes. Like ice cream would fix anything. He opened my door.

"I got you ice cream," he said.

I looked away.

"Callie," he tried, turning my head to me. I wrenched my head out of his hand and looked away.

He held the ice cream out to me. I took it and threw it on the ground.

"That wasn't nice," he frowned. I frowned back at him, pulled my door closed and sat back with my head turned away.

Dad got into the car and drove home.

As soon as we got home I grabbed my school bag, went in the house and straight up to my room, slamming my door.

You can't fix broken promises with ice cream.