75. Callie

I didn't want to go back to school on Monday.  I'd spent from Wednesday when I came home from the hospital and the whole weekend with Mom, Dad, Granny and PopPop.  It was like being on summer holiday again. 

We went to Venice Beach and Dad and PopPop kept carrying me on their backs because of my foot. And Uncle Pete and Uncle Joe came to meet us for lunch! Plus, Dad's bandmates kept texting me that they were happy I was home and hoped to see me soon.  Dad said if I was okay with it, he wanted to have some people over Saturday night to hang out and welcome me home.

It was fine with me. I'd get to see Josh again, Uncle Mike, Uncle Dan, and Aunt Nicole. I was looking forward to it. 

On Thursday, we went out for a short while. It was the first time I had gone out since getting home from the hospital. We pretty much just went for a drive. Plus, Mom had to do some grocery shopping, so we all went and did that. I was on my crutches most of the time, so I couldn't keep up with the conversation around me.

PopPop noticed, stopped me and then picked me up, smiling.  He was talking, so I looked at Mom and Dad to see what he was saying.

"We can't keep you left out of the conversation!" PopPop exclaimed.  I smiled. I realized PopPop was safe like Dad is.

Dad helped me onto PopPop's back, so I could talk with everyone. Mom and Dad interpreted for PopPop and Granny.

On Friday, Dad thought we could go to the beach and just hang out and take some photos and stuff. I obviously had to be careful because of my foot. It was bandaged up pretty well and Mom and Dad were very careful that I didn't get sand under anything. We had a good day. I know I fell asleep on the beach at one point because when I woke up, Mom was sitting beside me, Granny had moved the beach umbrella so it was covering me with shade, and someone had covered me with a couple of towels as blankets.

"Feel okay?" Mom asked as I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

I nodded and smiled. Mom pulled me into a hug and kissed my head. Then held me at arm's length and smiled at me.

"Are you sure? You're feeling okay?"

I nodded.

"Okay," Mom smiled. Granny texted me.

"Did you have a good nap, sweetheart?"

I smiled at her and nodded, yawning and stretching.

Dad and PopPop came back up the beach to us. Dad had his jeans rolled up and was smiling. PopPop looked tired.

Dad flopped down onto the beach blanket beside me.

"Hi sleepyhead," he grinned at me. "How'd you sleep?"

I smirked at him.

"Like driftwood on a beach," I said.

"Cheeky," he said back.

"I don't know about you all," Mom said. "But I'm hungry."

"Me too," I said.

"I could eat," Dad said.

"When can you not?" Mom laughed. So did Dad. PopPop and Granny and I did, too.

Granny, Mom and Dad gathered up all the beach stuff and PopPop had me get on his back so he could piggyback me to the car.

Once everything was loaded into the car, including us, PopPop got my attention and signed:

"I love you, honeybee."

He was grinning. I grinned and hugged him. I loved that they were both trying to learn some sign language. I know it's a lot to learn a new language.

We went to a cafe by the beach that Mom and Dad like. I had a hamburger and fries and was able to eat almost all of it.

Afterwards, we headed back home. I was tired from being outside all day. Plus, I had to see the talking doctor again this afternoon.

That went okay, and she was nice. We talked about what happened at school and what happened in the hills. When I finished in her office, she told me she knew I'd had it rough before but felt I was doing well. I said thank you.

Saturday, Mom and Dad had everyone over. They even got the interpreter back so those who didn't get the chance to practice their sign language much could have her help.

Uncle Pete grabbed me as soon as he came in with Meagan and their kids.

"Look at you!" He said to me. "You look a lot better."

"Thank you."

"How are you feeling?" Meagan asked through the interpreter.

"I'm okay, thank you," I said, smiling.

Aunt Nicole came rushing over as soon as she saw me and pulled me into a tight hug.

"We were so worried about you!" She signed at me. "Are you okay? How's your foot?"

I smiled and responded.

"I'm okay. My foot is okay, too."

"Has the doctor said anything about it? Do you know if they have to do surgery or anything?"

"No, not yet. I have to go back next week, I think."

Aunt Nicole smiled at me and hugged me.

Uncle Mike and Uncle Dan were funny, too, when they came over. A bunch of Dad's friends came over. It was a lot of fun. Dad barbecued, Mom and Granny made a bunch of salads, and Mom got some potato salad.

Dad put on music, as usual, and sat me on top of his big speaker again. Uncle Josh sat beside me with a pair of drumsticks and started tapping the beat on my leg. It was funny. He kept grinning up at me.

Sunday came and I started getting nervous about going back to school. What if my friends changed their minds? What if Melanie was still in my class? What if she came after me anyway?

Mom and Dad, and Granny and PopPop all kept trying to make me feel better and assure me I'd be okay at school. But I couldn't help be a little nervous to go back.