103. Sarah

Pete and Meagan had invited us to their place for a Christmas party. Very casual, but everyone we know would be there. We agreed to go. Callie could meet some more of our friends, and because Grace and Boyd were in town, Pete extended the invitation to include them.

The party was the Saturday night after Callie's last day of school for the winter break, so we spent the day doing some shopping. We had dinner out before heading to Pete's. We drove around a few neighborhoods on the way looking at the Christmas lights on people's houses. Some people went all out, hiring designers and putting on full displays. All of them were beautiful. Callie seemed impressed.

When we turned into Pete's driveway she looked a little confused, but was happy to see Pete and he even signed hello and marry Christmas to her. She was happy he was trying.

Callie clung to Grace and I at first. I figured it was because she didn't know many people here and Pete hadn't gotten an interpreter. Which was fine. We'd be able to interpret for her if she needed.

A while later, I turned around and Callie wasn't around. I figured she must have just wandered off to explore on her own. I wasn't worried. She was an intelligent kid. Pete's kids would hang out with her and make sure she was involved with the others. Over the past few months, the kids had met a few times so I knew Bronx and probably Saint would keep an eye on Callie. I figured she was probably downstairs with the kids.

Grace had found Boyd and the two of them were chatting amicably with Linda and Spencer.

Brendon came up to me with a beer in one hand and put his arm around my waist. He gave me a peck on the cheek and smiled.

"Callie must have found the rest of the kids?" He asked. I shrugged.

"I suppose so. There aren't many places she'd be otherwise. I'll look for her in a little while. Just check in on her. But we have to let her spread her wings and navigate some things on her own. At least here it's a safe environment," I said.

Brendon smiled and nodded.

We mingled, and spoke with friends, some of whom we hadn't seen in a while. We took pictures with friends and on our own. I kept an eye out for Callie so we could get some photos taken with her, too.

The music was pumping, Brendon wanted to dance, so we did. I found Grace and Boyd out by the pool sitting with Nicole and Mike, just chatting. They waved as we danced by, smiling. We were having a great night.

"Have you seen Callie?" Grace asked as we came by a little later.

"I think she's downstairs with the rest of the kids," I said.

"Oh. I didn't see her down there," Grace said. "But, to be fair, I wasn't looking that hard. I was just looking for an empty washroom."

"I'm sure she's fine. She knows Pete's kids well enough, and they're great with her. I'll check in on her in a little," I smiled. Grace nodded. I think we were all on the same page. Callie should be fine, right?

As it got closer to ten, I didn't think we needed to go home quite yet - Callie is almost 13, she's on school holiday and it's the weekend. She doesn't need to go to bed as early. Plus, I hadn't seen her all night. She must have been having a lot of fun with the rest of the kids. But I figured I should probably check in with her and see how she was faring with the rest of the kids.

I could hear the cacophony of voices and laughter, music, and the sound of kids having a good time together. I smiled. Callie was probably having so much fun with the rest of the kids. She's such an animated young person.

"Hey, Bronx," I said, coming into the rec room.

"Hi, Sarah," he waved. I looked around the basement.