39. Brendon

Callie was awake! She was breathing on her own. She seemed to be tired because she fell asleep pretty soon after we got back to her room and found she was awake. I held her hand and smiled at her. She was such a beautiful child. She'd had horrible things done to her when she was younger, but hopefully, we'd be able to help her heal. Hopefully she knew she was safe with us.

The four of us sat quietly talking as if it would wake Callie up. There was a knock at the door while we were sitting there.

"Hello?" I called out quietly. Josh walked in the room.

"Hey," he said. "I heard about Callie. Pete told me. He wants to come, too, but he's been busy with his kids."

"Hi," I whispered. I don't know why. "Thanks. But how did Pete know?"

"Sarah told him. He called to invite you guys for dinner yesterday. And why are you whispering?"

"Oh," I said. "Force of habit, I guess, realizing no matter how loud we spoke, it wouldn't wake Callie.

"How is she?" Josh asked, looking at Callie's sleeping form.

"She woke up this morning," I said. "But she's really tired. She's been sleeping most of the day."

"I bet. I'm so sorry this happened to you guys. To Callie."

I smiled. Josh is a really good friend. I knew he was here for Callie, and I appreciated his support.

He sat and visited with us for a little while. Callie's dinner was brought in and I moved to wake her up.

"Morning sleepyhead," I signed as her eyes fluttered open. "Dinner is here. Are you hungry?"

Callie looked around the room, her eyes landing on Josh and looking curious.

"Hi, Callie," Josh carefully signed. "I wanted to make sure you were okay."

Callie smiled and signed back.

"Hi Josh. I'm ok."

"Are you hungry?" I asked, bringing the tray closer. Callie shrugged and signed 'not really'.

I suggested she at least try a couple of bites. She agreed and I uncovered the meal. Fish, rice and vegetables. She also had an apple juice, some jello and a milk carton.

While she was eating a doctor walked into the room. Callie stopped eating and looked at him.

"Hi there. I'm Dr Smith. I'm one of the ICU physicians," he shook our hands. Callie frowned at him trying to understand what he was saying.

I signed to Callie that this was Dr Smith.

"So, Callie, you're awake," he said. I interpreted for her. She nodded.

"Obviously," she signed. I didn't interpret that for her and gave her a wink.

The doctor went over what was done and what had happened to Callie from the time she arrived in the Emergency Department and the time she woke up.

He expected Callie would be able to go home in a couple of days. They wanted to make sure she was okay, that there was no lasting damage or any issues we weren't prepared for.

We tried our best to explain what happened to Callie and had to resort to writing some of it down.

She was still very wary of my dad and looked over at him often, as if to keep track of where he was in the room.

Callie dozed off again after she'd eaten some dinner. I moved the tray table from her bed and without speaking, but Sarah and I climbed into the bed and held our sleeping daughter. I know I dozed off, because I hadn't slept since Callie's accident.

Callie was thrashing in the bed, which woke me up. Sarah, too. I put my hand on Callie's head and Sarah stroked her cheek. Her eyes flew open and for a second, she recoiled from both of us. Then looked around and saw we were beside her. She relaxed a little.

"Where's PopPop?" She asked, scanning the room.

"Granny and PopPop went home to sleep," I explained. "And take care of Bogey and Penny."

Callie nodded.

Sarah stroked her hair again and Callie looked over and smiled. She leaned into Sarah and pulled a little away from me. I sighed internally. I probably should not have gone on her bed, but I just needed to be close to her. To know she was okay.

"Do you want me to get off your bed?" I asked her.

She thought for a second. I could see she was worrying about insulting me.

"It's no problem. I'll understand if you want me to move."

Slowly she shook her head.

"It's ok," she said.

I kissed her head and smiled at her. She smiled back.

When I fell in love with Sarah, I never thought my heart would have room for any more love. And then we met Callie. And she filled every last space in my heart.

We all dozed off again, our small family, still navigating our lives together.

In the morning, we were reawakened by Callie's nurse. Since they checked on her throughout the night, I'd moved into a chair, but Sarah had stayed on the bed.

"Good morning, Callie," Angela, her nurse signed. She'd asked us how she could say good morning to her and we'd taught her. Callie's eyes brightened when Angela signed to her.

"I'm afraid that's all I know in sign," she said, as I signed for Callie. Callie smiled and said:

"Thank you and good morning."

I interpreted for her.

Angela did a few things and Callie's breakfast was brought in. While she was eating, the doctor came in.

"Well," he said, looking over Callie's recent bloodwork and reports from her stay the past couple of days. "Everything looks good. I'm happy to let Callie go home today."

I smiled and told Callie what the doctor said.

"Really?" She asked. I nodded.

Once Callie was done eating, Angela came in to take out her I.V. and Sarah helped her get dressed. I called my parents and asked them to come pick us up. They were thrilled to hear Callie was coming home.