68. Callie

Now I knew I was in trouble. I had kept walking in the hills. It was hot out. I was sure we lived on the other side of these hills, but all I saw was trees, rocks, grass and nothing else. I kept climbing because I was sure if I got closer to the top, I'd be able to see something that I'd recognize.

The sun got stronger and it got hotter as I climbed. I was thirsty, too. I sighed as I kept climbing.

At some point I just got too tired so I sat up against a rock to rest for a little. It was a little shaded, so I felt okay. But now I had to decide what to do.  I figured it was hot enough I should probably wait a little before I moved on. At least cool myself down. So I sat in the shade and thought.

Eventually, I decided I needed to keep moving. The closer I got to home, hopefully, the better.  I got up, dusted off my shorts and started walking up the hill again. It was exhausting, and being thirsty didn't help.

I don't know how long I walked before I needed to rest again. I was so tired and so thirsty. Hours had passed. I was hungry, too. And I knew I was lost. But I had to find somewhere there might be people. Because in the hills, I could stay lost.

I found a shady spot under a rock and curled up in the small space and rested. I wound up falling asleep because when I opened my eyes again, it was dark out. And cold. And now I knew I was in trouble. Mom and Dad were going to be so mad.

I got up and looked around. I couldn't see anything. I couldn't see the city really, and I didn't know if I'd be better off going back down the hill and finding a house and asking for help somehow.

Except I didn't have anything to write with to ask for help. And no way to ask for anything.

I sat where I was for a while and looked around. There wasn't much around. A few small trees, a lot of big rocks and sand and grass. I figured it was still better to try to get over the hills than sitting in some tree filled area. So I got up and started walking again. It was so cold out. I wrapped my arms around myself and kept climbing. It was a little steeper up here. And the rocks weren't as stable. I slipped a few times.

I got more and more tired again and found an area that wasn't too rocky. I sat up against a big rock and pulled my knees up. I curled up into a ball against the rock, wrapped my arms around my knees and cried. I'd gotten hopelessly lost. I didn't recognize anything, I couldn't see any lights really. I could see downtown, but that wasn't helpful where I was now.

I thought about going back down the hills, but if didn't know where that would take me either.

I decided for now I'd stay curled up by this rock. I was tired anyway. And it was getting dark. I was hungry. I'd missed lunch and now dinner. Mom and Dad were probably furious with me by now. I was scared to even go home. They'd probably be so mad. They'd get rid of me for sure, now. I cried. I didn't want them to get rid of me.

I must have dozed off because I was woken up by a pain in my foot. An animal was gnawing on my sneaker.  I kicked at it and it ran away. I sat up and curled up tighter. It was freezing cold out now. And I was scared another animal might come by and start gnawing on me. I sniffled. I wanted to go home.

There wasn't much light. The moon was behind clouds. It was too dark to move but I thought I probably should because what if that animal came back?

I got up and started making my way in the direction I'd been walking in to begin with. I squinted in the dark trying to figure out if I was about to walk into another animal or something.

I walked until the sun came up and I had no idea where I was. I was exhausted and with the sun coming up, it was getting hot again. I didn't feel well, either.

I found another area with trees and rocks and went there and got out of the sun. I hoped any animals would just come out at night and maybe I could sleep a little.

I just need a nap. I yawned and lay down. Just a bit of a nap.