48. Brendon

Panic! Frontman, Daughter Hospitalized in Bizarre Home Invasion

Panic! At The Disco's frontman, Brendon Urie, and his recently adopted daughter, 12-year-old Callie Urie, were hospitalized after what appeared to be a home invasion in their rented vacation home in the Hamptons, NY.

Representatives for the singer said that Urie sustained a single stab wound and was transported to hospital where he underwent surgery for a perforated bowel and to repair the wound. He is expected to make a full recovery. As for the younger Urie, however, the reasons for her hospitalization are unclear. The representative states that young Ms. Urie was not injured in the attack, however, she has been hospitalized for undisclosed reasons. Sarah Urie, Brendon's wife, was not injured in the attack.

The Uries had been in New York on a family holiday when the attack occurred. The community is concerned that there is someone at large that could target their homes and families next.

Police have issued a statement that the attack was random and that there is no reason for the community to be concerned. Community members disagree, and are demanding more answers as to whether there really is something to be concerned about.

The police have been adamant that there is no reason for concern but won't elaborate on their reasoning, leaving the community to speculate that there is more danger than they're letting on.

Brendon Urie is expected to make a full recovery. This is a developing story.

——————————-
I read the newspaper article and frowned. I didn't want us to have to relate Callie's upbringing and abuse in the news. We'd have to find a way to explain what happened that didn't lay blame on Callie. I sighed.

"You okay?" Zack asked.

"Yeah. Just thinking," I said.

"That's never a good thing," Zack smiled. I smirked back at him.

"Good morning, Mr. Urie," the nurse who'd been taking care of me said, smiling as she came in the room. "How are you feeling?"

"Not too bad, actually," I said. "A little sore, but not agonizingly so."

"Good," she said. "We're going to take your catheter out and then see about getting you up and walking around. How does that sound?"

"Can I go see my daughter?" I asked.

"We'd like you to stay on the unit. At least for today," she said. "Just to make sure you're doing okay."

Were they keeping me from Callie?

I sighed. It made sense. I didn't have to like it, but it did make sense.

A few more nurses came into the room. They asked Zack to leave just while they removed the catheter, which they said was going to be uncomfortable. And it was. Very much so.

Once they were done, my nurse helped me sit up on the edge of the bed and told me to just dangle my feet for a few minutes. In case I got dizzy.

Zack came back into the room and another nurse followed with a walker.

"I don't need a walker," I frowned.

"For now, you do. Again, just to be safe."

I sighed. There was nothing wrong with my legs.

Zack placed the walker in front of me and handed me a second gown to literally cover my ass. I got up gently, holding my stomach.

"You good?" Zack asked. I nodded.

"A little sore, but okay," I said.

Zack stayed by my elbow as we walked the hall. Seeing as it was 11:30 in the morning, Sarah was upstairs with Callie. She'd told me yesterday that Callie was catatonic. She was responding to absolutely nothing. Not pain, not light, nothing. Sarah was furious that Callie was tied to her bed and they hadn't even given her a pillow or a blanket. She was alone in a room with no one to communicate to or with. Sarah said all she did was stare straight ahead of herself and even when Sarah tried to sign to her, she didn't even blink.

Zack and I walked up and down the hallway for a while. It felt nice to be vertical. And the walker was abandoned halfway up the hall. I used my I.V. pole instead. My balance was fine and I wasn't light headed at all.

"Think we could sneak up to see Callie?" I asked Zack.

"I think they'd notice considering the elevators are right across from the nurses station."

"We could tell them we're going outside," I suggested.

"Bren, you know I've always got your back. But how about for once, you listen to what you're told and do that?"

"When did you become such a buzzkill?" I frowned at him.

"When you got stabbed by a 12-year-old," he spat back.

"It was an accident, Zack. She didn't mean to stab me."

"Maybe not, but she did. And while you trust her, they don't. So for today, be a good boy and listen to your doctors."

I frowned at him. Did Zack not trust Callie?

After a couple of rounds of the unit I said I was heading back to my room. I wasn't tired, really. I was bored. And I miss my daughter.

I got back in the bed and turned on the TV. At least something to distract me from the thoughts running through my head. I was going to have to confront Zack as to whether he trusts Callie or not. Because I don't have room in my life for people who don't or won't trust my daughter.