30. Sarah

After Brendon and I finished eating, I made Callie a sandwich, poured a glass of milk and went upstairs to her room. 

I knocked on the door, even though Brendon had told me she was ignoring the door knock alert, waited a minute, and then pushed open the door.

Bogart was lying curled up beside Callie, who had fallen asleep as well. I smiled. In sleep, she looked so relaxed. Almost happy. It made me sad because what she thought she was hiding from us, was heartbreaking. How anyone could take advantage of such a sweet girl just broke my heart.

I put the sandwich and glass of milk down on Callie's desk and sat beside her on the bed. I gently touched her shoulder and lightly shook her.

She startled awake.

"Sorry," I signed. "I brought you a sandwich."

I pointed at the desk.

"I'm not hungry," Callie said.

I looked at her sympathetically.

"Callie, you didn't eat yesterday, you didn't have much at the hospital. You must be hungry."

She shook her head. Tears threatened behind her eyes.

I pulled her up into a sitting position, reluctant as she was, and pulled her into a tight hug.

She began weeping and melted into me. I let her cry and rubbed her back as she cried.

When she was done, she kept her head on my shoulder. After a couple of minutes, I held her at arm's length and smiled at her.

"It's ok, Callie," I said. "It's okay."

She shook her head.

I got her attention and made sure she was looking.

"Dad and I know what happened before. With your dad and the other homes. And it's okay. It's not okay that it happened, but we aren't ever giving you up. We love you too much."

With tear filled eyes, Callie shook her head and said:

"Everyone says they won't give up. Mrs Cunningham said the same. But she still sent me away. And Dad's parents will do the same."

"Do you know why Mrs Cunningham sent you away?" I asked.

"Her mother made her," Callie said.

"Do you know why, though?"

"Because I'm Deaf."

"No, sweetheart. Because she caught your foster brother hurting you and she wanted you to be safe. And he wasn't safe for you."

Callie looked like she wasn't sure she believed me.

"Grace and Boyd are so excited to meet you. And I know they are going to love you, too."

I pulled Callie into another hug.

"Okay?" I asked when we broke the hug. She shrugged. 

"I brought you a sandwich," I pointed at the sandwich. "Now are you hungry?"

Callie smiled just a bit and nodded.

I pulled out my phone because I didn't know the signs for what I wanted to say.

'The past does not define you. What has happened can't be changed, but it doesn't make you any less special, or any less worthy of love and safety. Dad and I love you and what has happened, we can't fix, but we can help you find someone who can help you learn to deal with what's happened.'

She looked at me and hugged me.

"We really do love you, Callie," I told her.

"Thank you. I love you too."

I sat with her as she ate her sandwich, sitting up, legs crossed on her bed. I ran my fingers through her hair and smiled at her. She was such a beautiful child. My heart broke for the pain she'd endured in her young life.

After she finished her sandwich and milk, I asked if she wanted to come help with dinner. She smiled and nodded and the two of us went downstairs together. I kept my arm around her thin shoulders to remind her she is loved and to hold her close to me, because I wanted nothing more than to protect her.