22. Brendon

Callie clearly likes chocolate ice cream. She was all smiles when I offered it.

After we cleaned up from dinner Callie said she was going to take a shower and go to bed because she had to set up her clock still, and was waking up earlier than expected. We said goodnight to her and sat together on the couch.

"I called Callie's social worker," Sarah said. "She's going to come over on Thursday to talk about Callie's past."

"Okay," I said. "When?"

"Nine in the morning."

"Okay. So tomorrow it's the schools, Thursday it's the social worker, and then, whatever."

"Your parents," Sarah said.

"Right. They're going to love her," I smiled.

Sarah smiled back at me.

"They are," she agreed.

We watched a little television before heading up to bed ourselves.

In the morning I heard Callie in her bathroom as I headed downstairs to make coffee and get ready for our day.

Sarah came down shortly after me and then Callie came bounding down the stairs.

"Good morning beautiful," I said to her.

"Good morning, Dad," she said. 

"Cereal or eggs?" I asked.

"Cereal is okay," Callie signed.

I pulled out a few options and a bowl and spoon and the milk. Callie poured herself cereal, I poured myself some and Sarah had coffee and fruit.

Once we'd all eaten and cleaned up, Sarah packed a tote bag with water, juice, snacks and what records we had of Callie's education and we headed out.

Callie looked a little nervous as we drove towards the first school. We were seeing the Merton school first. Sarah was texting her to try and calm her down. She would relate to me what they were saying. Callie's worries we're pretty much all typical 12-year-old worries.

We pulled up to the school and Callie was a little reluctant to get out of the car. Sarah was able to coax her out.

As we approached the building, a woman in a knee length skirt, heels and a blouse and suit jacket came down the walk.

"You must be the Uries," she said, and signed. We nodded. Callie took Sarah's hand.

"Welcome to Merton. Let's go into the office and we can talk about the school, then I'll give you a tour. My name is Mrs. Thompson and I am the Director of Student Services. I am the liaison between students and teachers and parents and teachers," she explained. We nodded.

The three of us followed her into the school.

Mrs. Thompson led us to her office where there was a desk and also a coffee table and a sofa. She indicated we should sit on the sofa.

"So, Callie, I hear you're looking for a new school?" She asked Callie. Callie shrugged.

"Callie's been going to public schools that I'm not sure have always met her needs. We adopted her just about a week ago and we want to make sure she gets a proper education, one that can meet her needs and challenges her. She's smart," I said. I noticed Mrs. Thompson signed for Callie to understand. She blushed when I said she was smart.

"Well, academically, Merton is definitely challenging. You forwarded me some of her records, thank you," Mrs. Thompson said. "So looking at those, I think Callie will definitely be challenged and I think she can meet and exceed the standards we expect from our students."

She smiled at Callie.

Mrs. Thompson went on to explain the school, their philosophy, their value statement and mission, parental expectations, student expectations and about the school in general. Once she was done with that, she took us on a tour. She explained how the school was set up, resources available to students and parents, including sign classes for parents. We explained we'd already begun learning but would probably join with other parents at the school.

Callie seemed somewhat impressed by the school. It was a very nice building. Lots of natural light in the classrooms. Mrs. Thompson took us past the summer camp and Callie watched the kids signing and talking together.

"The summer camp includes the siblings of Deaf children or children of Deaf parents," Mrs. Thompson explained. "It allows them time to bond and learn with each other in a neutral environment."

I looked at Callie, she didn't seem overly impressed.

"Callie?" I asked, touching her shoulder. "What do you think?"

She shrugged.

"Looks nice," she said.

Back in the office, Mrs. Thompson gave us brochures and a handbook, as well as registration forms, should we choose to send Callie to Merton.

We thanked her for her time and left to go see the second school.

When we got there it was dramatically different from Merton. Merton had a large front lawn with benches and trees. The California School for the Deaf had a paved front yard. The school building wasn't huge but well kept anyway.

We went in and found our way to the office. The secretary greeted us with a smile.

"Good morning. You're the Uries?" She asked. We nodded. "Welcome."

She led us into the principal's office and introduced us to Mr. Scott.

"Good morning," he said, standing up and coming to shake our hands. "Welcome to CSD." He signed. 

He started by giving us a tour of the school and explaining their programs. They also offered sign classes for parents.

Academically, both schools would challenge Callie's intelligence. But I personally liked the atmosphere at Merton better. Ultimately, it would be Callie's decision, but I was hoping she'd choose Merton.

The principal asked Callie a few questions and then asked us a few. He also gave us forms and a handbook, and we left.

Sarah and I talked on the way towards home. Sarah asked Callie if she was hungry, and Callie shrugged. She signed she was a little hungry.

We decided to go for hamburgers and Callie seemed okay with that. We pulled up to an In N Out and went inside to order.

Once we'd all ordered our lunch, and had the tray. We went outside to find a table and sat down.

"So," I got Callie's attention. "What do you think? There are other schools we can look at."

Callie shrugged and looked pensive for a minute.

"CSD seems nice, but Merton has more sports and programs and clubs," she said. "And a prettier campus. I like the grass and trees out front."

I smiled. That had been one of the selling features for me, too.

"Do you want to look at any of the other schools?"

"I don't think so. I like Merton," she said.

"Ok. So, Merton it is?"

Callie nodded and Sarah and I smiled and hugged her.

"Okay, Merton Girl!" I signed. Callie laughed. "We'll fill out the paperwork today and get you registered for September."

We smiled and went about eating lunch.