21. Callie

They couldn't know. I couldn't let them know. They'd get rid of me for sure.

Dad came in asking me what was wrong but I couldn't tell him. Obviously.

After a little while, I felt better and decided to go downstairs. Mom was on the phone and so I decided to sit at the kitchen breakfast bar and read a little bit.

When she got off the phone, I watched her. She was thinking about something, and then she smiled. She has a really pretty smile.

After a few minutes, she got up and noticed me.

"Callie. I didn't hear you come down," she signed. They were picking it up fast.

"You were on the phone," I said.

Mom nodded.

"Where's Dad?" I asked. Mom pointed outside and signed "studio."  I nodded.

"Can I go read outside?" I asked. Mom nodded.

I took my book and went out by the pool and curled up into one of the lounge chairs. Bogart came out at one point and sniffed at me before hopping up on the chair with me and curling up in the space I left. I pet him while I read, completely immersed in a world of wizards and witches and wardrobes.

Suddenly there was a tap on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Dad standing over me. He picked up his phone and pointed at mine. I pulled it out of my pocket and saw texts from him.

'I've been texting you for 20 minutes. Isn't your phone on vibrate?'

I looked and nodded.

'I didn't feel it go off,' I texted back.

'That good a book?'

I nodded and smiled.

'Sorry. I was really into it,' I smiled sheepishly.

'I wanted to know if you want a hamburger or a hot dog for dinner,' he texted. 'Sorry. I should be practicing my sign language. But since we were doing this this way, I just kept going,' he shrugged. I laughed.

'It's okay,' I said. At least they were trying.

So I signed 'hamburger'.

Dad looked at me and got pensive. He repeated the sign and then finger spelled 'hamburger'.

I smiled and nodded. He smiled.

"One or two?" He signed.

"One please. Does Mom need help?"

"Ask her," he laughed.

I marked my page, got up and hugged Dad before going into the kitchen to ask Mom if she needed help with dinner.

She said no, but asked if I wanted to eat inside or outside. I shrugged. I didn't really care.

"It's beautiful out. Let's eat outside," Mom said. I nodded.

"Wipe the table then set it?" She tried. Really she signed 'wipe the table then sit on it', but I knew what she meant. I showed her the sign for set and she asked me what she'd signed. I told her and she laughed and thanked me, handing me a wet cloth.

I wiped down the table, as asked, and then went back inside and grabbed the plates and cutlery Mom had put out for me to put on the table.

After that was done I went into the fridge and got ketchup, mustard and other burger topping stuff. Mom carried a plate of vegetables out and then went back and got a salad. I pulled dressings out of the fridge.

Dad was outside grilling with the dogs looking expectantly at him.

Dad looked over at me, smiled, pointed at the food and did a chef's kiss. I laughed.

Back in the house Mom asked if I wanted my bun toasted or not. They were fresh, so I said no thanks.

We ate dinner and Mom and Dad practiced their signs. They said they'd made some appointments to see some schools for the next day. I nodded.

'Time to test that alarm clock,' dad texted. He was smiling. 'We have to leave at 8:30, so you need to be up in time to get dressed and eat some breakfast.'

I thought about it. Ugh. 7:30 during summer holidays? Well, maybe 8. If I shower before bed.

"Ok" I said.

They tried to tell me a bit about the schools using sign, text and finger spelling. We were seeing two schools tomorrow. The Merton School and the California School for the Deaf. It was summer break so we'd see the summer camp they run as well, at Merton.

We finished dinner and Mom and I cleaned up. Dad pulled out ice cream and bowls and started dishing it out.

"Callie, you like ice cream?"

I nodded and smiled. He had chocolate ice cream out. One of my favourites.