86. Callie

Granny smiled at me, too and put her arm around my shoulders. She texted me and said she'd show me where we'd be sleeping, and then it would be dinner time. I nodded and followed her.

Upstairs she opened the door to a room that was obviously a bedroom. It was painted blue and had a twin sized bed with a plaid comforter and blue sheets. I asked if it was Dad's old room and Dad said it wasn't. His was next door. I looked into the room Mom and Dad were staying in. There was a double bed I think. Maybe a queen, and a blue comforter. The walls were beige.

"This is your old room?" I asked Dad. It was so ... not Dad.

"It was. My parents painted it when I moved out."

"Oh," I said.

"Why?" Dad asked.

"It's so... not you," I replied.

Mom and Dad laughed.

"You're right. I had all sorts of posters and stuff on my walls," Dad said. "Did you unpack?"

"No," I shrugged. "Do I need to?"

"Not if you don't want to. Might make finding your bathing suit easier. Want to swim?" Dad asked, holding up his own suit. I wasn't sure. There were people here I don't know well. Mom saw my face and sat on the bed in front of me.

"No one here will hurt you. You're safe. You can swim here. And if you feel safer, you can swim with a shirt on like you've done at home."

I nodded and looked at Dad who was looking at me expectantly. He really wanted to swim I think. He smiled and pointed to my room.

"Go change," he said.

I went to my room and closed the door before digging through my suitcase to find my bathing suit. I changed quickly and wrapped a towel around myself. Granny and PopPop had put towels on my bed with notes - for swimming and for showering. The swim towel was a little smaller than the shower towel but still big and fluffy. I met Dad in the hallway and he led me out back to the pool. My cousins were already in the pool and my baby cousin was in a floaty thing with Aunt Kyla. They all signed Hi to me. I smiled. I felt included. I'd never felt that before.

Dad hopped into the pool and turned around to face me.

"It's warm. Hop in," he smiled, opening his arms. Two of my cousins latched onto his arms while I put my towel down.

I got in the water and swam to Dad, who was making a weird face.

"I'm a monster," he signed. I raised my eyebrow at him.

After a while, we got tired of swimming and Granny said it was almost dinner anyway. PopPop was starting the barbecue.

Dad and my uncles went to help and my aunts went inside to help. Mom stayed outside to interpret for me.

One of my cousins came up and was pointing at the pool and shrugging. I wasn't sure what he was asking, so I looked at Mom.

"He wants to know what the sign for pool is," she said. So I showed him. Then he asked what the sign for swim is and I showed him that, too. Then he asked for 'thank you' and I showed him that and he repeated it then went to his dad and showed him what I taught him. Mom wrapped me in a hug from behind and put her chin on my head. I looked up at her and she smiled. I smiled back.

When dinner was ready my cousins started asking me for the signs for the different foods. Eventually Dad said I'd be happy to teach them more, but at some point I'd probably like to actually eat the food. Everyone laughed and Dad smiled and winked at me.

After dinner, PopPop built a bonfire in their back yard. Their yard was huge and they had a fire pit in it. Dad helped with the fire and Granny brought out stuff for s'mores. I taught my cousins the signs for chocolate and graham crackers and marshmallows. We roasted the marshmallows and ate our s'mores. Mom and Dad interpreted for me since my hands were busy with s'mores. My cousins asked questions like, was I born Deaf (I was) and if anyone else in my birth family was Deaf. I said I didn't know. I never met my birth father's family and my birth mother's parents died when I was three and five. I didn't really remember them.

We sat outside watching the fire and relaxing. I was sitting on a lounge chair between Dad's legs and leaning on him. He had his arms around me and had wrapped me in his hoodie because I didn't bring a sweatshirt outside.

Mom appeared and handed me a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie and told me to put them on over my now dry bathing suit. I did and leaned back on Dad again.

I felt him kiss the top of my head and looked up. He smiled and winked at me. Dad's chest started vibrating and I looked up. One of my uncles had a guitar out and Dad was singing. I smiled. I may not be able to hear it, but I see how much Dad loves music and singing.

I just leaned back and felt the vibrations in his chest.

Suddenly I felt like I was floating. I opened my eyes and saw Dad was carrying me upstairs.

"Bedtime, sleepyhead," he smiled at me. "The other kids have also gone to bed."

He put me down on the bed and said good night. I got up and changed quickly because I know it's not good to sleep in a bathing suit. I put on pyjamas and crawled into bed.

I was back to sleep before my head hit the pillow.