57. Brendon

Sarah brought Callie down to visit. I was so happy to see my little girl. She burst into tears when she saw me. Poor kid.

Sarah brought her over and I put out my arms for her. She eventually came over and launched herself at me for a hug. Then sat back and said how sorry she was.

I told her to be careful, because I'm still healing, and sore. But I laughed. Because I was just so happy to see my girl again. I hugged her and she hugged me. Sarah, Zack and Kala were all talking and I was answering them when I realized Callie felt heavy. I looked down and my sweet girl was fast asleep in my arms. I kissed her head and pulled my blankets up around her.

"Have I mentioned how much I love this kid?" I asked. Sarah smiled.

"She is pretty loveable," Kala said. Zack was frowning.

"Zack?" I said.

"Sorry Bren. She stabbed you. I'm having a hard time getting over that. How you've just accepted this, I don't get."

"You know Callie's history Zack. You know what happened to her. You know she wasn't looking to attack me. If she'd wanted to attack me, she'd have taken the knife into our room. And probably a long time ago. She was protecting herself. She was disoriented in the house. It's a strange place for her."

Zack was less than convinced but honestly, I don't care. If he wants to keep his job, he'll get over this. And fast.

We sat around chatting for a while until my dinner was brought. Callie was still asleep on me.

"I take it she didn't sleep well upstairs," I said.

"I doubt it," Sarah said.

"We should take her home," Zack said. "Let you eat your dinner and rest."

"You going to be okay, Bren?" Sarah asked.

"I am a fully functioning adult. I think I can handle dinner and sleep. See you in the morning?"

They said they'd all be back in the morning. Zack took Callie and the three of them left me to my dinner.

I was antsy. I felt well enough to be up and about and after I ate, I decided to go for a walk. I was just wandering around the floor being somewhat bored.

I headed back to my room and got into bed. I was really hoping to head home soon. Tomorrow if possible. I was getting bored. My fever was gone, I was feeling so much better. And I needed to be home with my daughter. I needed to be part of her healing.

I turned on the TV, hoping for some brainless thing to watch just to keep my mind from wandering. I landed on the news.

"In entertainment news, reps for Brendon Urie say the singer is still in the hospital recovering from a stab wound in what was thought to be a home invasion. We were recently informed by an anonymous source not related to the Uries or their representatives, that the elder Urie was actually stabbed by his 12-year-old adopted daughter, Callie.

Sources for the family have not confirmed this news but a source at the police department in the Hamptons confirmed that the 12-year-old was involved.

There's no word as to whether any charges have been laid or if the Uries' daughter will face prosecution."

That did it. I had to get home. I had to be with Sarah and Callie. I had a bunch of phone calls to make.

I got up and went to the nurse's station.

"I need to go home," I said.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Urie, but the doctor has left for the night and I don't think he planned on discharging you until maybe tomorrow."

"I can't wait until tomorrow. I need to be home with my family right now. Get him here or get him on the phone but get him to discharge me. Now!"

The nurse jumped at my tone but I didn't care. She picked up the phone and dialled a number.

"Good evening, doctor. I have Mr. Urie here. Room 725?  He is insisting he needs to go home right now.  Yes. I told him. Yes. Yes I know, sir. He's right here. Okay. Sure." 

She handed me the phone.

"Mr. Urie," the doctor started.

"No, you listen to me. I need to be home with my wife and daughter. And I need to be home with them now. Tonight. I'm off the I.V. antibiotics and feeling fine."

"Mr. Urie, you had a serious stab wound. You lost a lot of blood. You also had a serious septic infection. It's late. Get some sleep and I will see you in the morning and determine if you're ready to go home."

"I have determined I am ready to go home. My daughter needs me. I need to be with her. You don't understand what we are dealing with.  I'm being nice by discussing this with you, but I could get my lawyers involved."

"There's no need for threats, Mr. Urie. If you want to leave, I can't stop you. Give me an hour. I'll be back to take a look at you, and then we'll talk, alright?"

"One hour. Otherwise I'm walking."

"You'd be leaving against medical advice."

"I would. I know. I'd rather not do that. So I suggest you get here within that hour timeframe you quoted. 59 minutes now."

I hung up the phone. One way or the other, I was going home.

Went back to my room and looked for my clothes. Unfortunately, all I had was the pyjama bottoms I'd come in. I hadn't been wearing a shirt that night.

It took a bit of work to get dressed, but I did. I realized I didn't even have shoes. Maybe in order to leave, I was going to have to have someone come get me. I'd planned on just taking a taxi or an Uber.

I texted Zack and told him to come get me. I also told him to please bring me shoes and a shirt. One way or the other, I was going home.