98. Callie

I hate it here. I hate not knowing when they're going to take me back to the Home. I know it's coming. I just don't know when.

Brendon made me go downstairs so they could "talk to" me. I didn't want to hear what they had to say. When I had the chance, I bolted and went back up to my room. I didn't want to hear anything they had to say. I knew they were getting rid of me soon. So why should I even care anymore? 

I lay on my bed and cried more. I don't know how I have so many tears still. After a while, when it became obvious they weren't coming back, I got up I got ready for bed and crawled under my covers. I wondered if maybe I should start packing. Maybe I should just go. I could make the decision for them that way. I lay awake wondering what I should do. I guess I fell asleep because the next thing I knew, my alarm was waking me up. I went into my washroom and got ready for school. No one even came in to see if I was even awake.

I went downstairs and didn't see anyone in the kitchen. Screw them then. Ignoring the hunger pangs from skipping dinner, I decided to see if I could figure out how to get to school from here. It was a two hour walk. Forget that. I guess I'm not going to school today. I'm certainly not asking them for a ride. They're supposed to be the parents. I shouldn't have to remind them that I have to go to school.

I dumped my bag on the floor and went into the living room where I sat on the couch, crossing my arms. I wouldn't hear them come down obviously, but I didn't care. They clearly don't.

I sat on the sofa, just waiting. Bogey came up to me and sniffed at my feet. He jumped up on the sofa beside me and rolled on his back. I started scrubbing his tummy.

"What are you doing sitting here?" Brendon asked, getting my attention. I wasn't going to entertain his obvious false caring. I glared at him.

"You have school! Why are you just sitting here?"

I continued to glare at him.

" Callie, let's go. You're going to be late!"

I rolled my eyes, got up, grabbed my backpack and went outside where I waited by the car. Brendon came rushing outside and signed for me to get in the car. I got in the back seat again. No way I'm sitting in the front. I continued to ignore Brendon and got out of the car as soon as he pulled up to the school. I didn't even look back at him.

I wasn't in a great mood all day. I know I was a little short with my teachers and friends, but I also wasn't feeling so great, either. My stomach hurt, my head hurt, and I felt... Off. I tried to concentrate in class, but as the day wore on, I was starting to feel like my head was filling with fluff or something. I was feeling somewhat dizzy.

At lunch I went to the library and tried to read through some of the homework, but the words kept floating away off the page. I couldn't concentrate all day, and kept feeling worse and worse. At the end of the day I went out to see if either of them had even bothered to come pick me up. I didn't see their car. Figures. I'm already forgotten. I looked around, but everything seemed too bright.

I figured maybe if I started walking? I knew now to stay on the street, and not to try to cut through over the hills. I had some change on me so I pulled out my phone and decided to check how to get home by transit. I found the bus stop for the bus I would need, and sat on the bench to wait. A car pulled up and people got out and came over to me. The light was different. I didn't recognize who was in front of me and tried to figure it out, but they had blurry faces, and were waving their hands around. I squinted and saw it was Brendon and Sarah. I rolled my eyes and got up to walk away from them but suddenly everything went black.