Chapter 33

My stomach grumbled fiercely as I finally finished unpacking the mini mountain of clothes I'd brought with me. Exhausted I flopped down noisily onto the bed in my Gran's guest rooms.

Well I say guest room but it had always been mine, the tiny space was full to busting yet it only contained a bed, a wardrobe and a chest of drawers. Each year we followed the same routine, my parents would have the second bedroom, I'd be in this box room and the boys would sleep downstairs in the lounge, two on the couches and, usually Stuart on the camp bed.

My room was pink with lilac flowers everywhere. This was the exact same decor as when I was three. I'm pretty sure it hadn't changed in over 25 years, it'd been up so long, and the wallpaper was again fashionable.

My stomach grumbled again so I made my way downstairs to see what culinary delights my Gran had whipped up for us. I should have known the distinct lack of mouth-watering fragrances was an ominous sigh. I found my Gran sitting at the table with yet another cup of tea. She looked up when she heard my stomach almost shouting for food.

"So you're all unpacked?" she didn't wait for an answer before continuing. "Great, now jump in the shower and put something nice on, we're going out." She looked away from me and returned her focus to the tea.

"But Gran I'm tired" I whined.

"Nonsense, now run along or we'll be late." I turned to leave then a thought stuck me.

"Late for where?" She smiled brightly thinking she now had my interest.

"Why to Annie and Derek's of course." When I didn't immediately nod my acknowledgement she continued. "Mr. and Mrs. Conroy, you remember them, lovely couple, got three grandchildren all about your age, two girls and the boys the youngest, I think he's about seventeen."

I did remember them now. The Conroy's were lovely, a genuinely, nice, old couple. Their grandchildren, from my recollections, however were not, oh yes I remember them now all too well; there was no way I was forgetting them. My brow furrowed deeply as I thought of how obnoxious each and every one of them were. My Gran was right Rupert was seventeen; my first thought was whether he'd finally grown into that enormous head of his. Growing up my brothers and I had often discussed Rupert's huge, ecliptic shape noggin. We'd spent hours considering how he even had the strength as a toddler to lift it up; we'd decided long ago he was a freak of nature, able to defy the laws of gravity and physics with his superhuman neck muscles.

Sad to say but he was my favourite of the three. The girls, Angelique and Savannah were twenty two and twenty respectively. Angelique had for years thrown herself at Stuart, well more forced herself upon him. To this day he still cites her as one of the main bonuses to being gay, for years I was convinced it was her who scarred him off women for life. She was a rotund girl with lank blonde hair to her waist.

I had experience of the lovely Angelique yet again last year when she had turned her attentions to the twins. From all accounts she didn't mind which one she got her hooks into just so long as she finally managed to get one of the brothers. Thinking it was a sure fire way to win them round she decided I was her new best friend. Every morning I'd come down stairs and she'd be sat at the kitchen table sipping a cup of tea. Then with a huge false smile she'd beam at me. As soon as she discovered I spent as little time with the twins as was humanly possible she quickly dropped me, that's not why I'm bitter, no that was her one saving grace, she didn't continue to bug me for the rest of the Summer.

No I didn't like her because both her and her sister were vindictive bitches. Every year I'd endured hearing them whisper about us to the other kids, calling us damaged and psychologically scarred after our Mother's death. Spreading lies telling any boy who looked twice at me that I had issues, anger issues. The first time I heard Savannah giggling about me to one of the local kids I was 13, my mum had not long died and I was still so angry at the whole world so when she started telling the kids I had been shipped out to Spain because I was a self-harmer I saw red, my brothers had to drag me off her, as they pulled me away I was screaming in fury and still holding a handful of her greasy, orange ginger hair in my fist. She smirked at me scornfully and waiting until I was far enough away she started shouting to the other kids 'See I told you she was a basket case.'