Chapter 20

So I'd spent most of the day with my arms wrapped around Daniel and my face attached to his by the lips, things were heating up very nicely between us, at the back of my mind I was conscious this pleasurable simmering could boil over at any minute and decided to take evasive action.

We'd decided to focus our attentions on watching a film instead. As it started I snuggled into Daniel, who willingly put his arm round me and held me close. I smiled to myself remembering the times we'd watched films before, how I'd longed for him to accidentally brush his hand along my leg, but of course he never had. How Mark had sat in-between us that first time and they'd fought over the popcorn. With a growing contentment I nuzzled further into him.

His hand gently rubbed my back, in a motion similar to soothing a baby and with the rhythmic beating of his heart I found myself nodding off. I woke several times during the film, only for a minute or two before drifting off again. During the last such fleeting moments of consciousness I realised I was no longer resting my head against his chest, I had repositioned myself so my head was in his lap and his hand played with the curls which had escaped my ponytail. I quietly sighed happily to myself being careful not to move as I didn't want to end this perfect moment.

Just as I was dozing myself into another short nap I heard a knock on the door as James barged into the room.

"Alex, are you decent?" he asked not waiting for a reply. Seeing my sleeping form draped across Daniel stopped him in his tracks, there was silence for a second whilst James was obviously assessing the situation. As I hadn't moved or let either boy know I was anything but deeply asleep James spoke directly to Daniel.

"Well this all looks very cosy." his tone sharp, it confused me, he sounded a little angry or upset, but why, he knew how much I liked Daniel? When Daniel didn't respond James continued.

"So what happened with Tina? I only ask because it was only last night I saw you with her wasn't it?" He snapped.

"Not that it's any of your business," Daniel mimicked James's tenor. "You know how I felt, surely you're not surprised. Well, I've told her it's over between us."

"And is it?" his reply was short and concise

I could feel Daniels hands tighten around my hair, "What is that suppose to mean? Me and Tina - it's over, I'm with Alex now, finally." I could hear the exasperation in his voice and resisted grinning.

"Well forgive me for doubting but I've heard this before and not just once." What? I made a mental note to interrogate James later about his comment.

"You know it's not the same thing. Yeah I've split up with Tina before and always got back with her, but it's different now, you know how I feel about Alex, I mean what I say, besides what's it to you?" Clearly losing his patience.

"Alex is like my sister, only unlike my real sisters I actually like her, and I won't stand by and let you hurt her." He said defiantly, after a long pause he spoke again, only this time his timbre was gentler, even friendlier. "We're friends, good friends you and I, but she's been through enough already. You know how much she likes you, please just don't hurt her." He pleaded.

"I won't, I promise" he pledged. "I've been an idiot, I know that, but I know she's the one, I'm not going to do anything to jeopardise that. Please be happy for us."

"Of course I'm happy for you, my two favourite people here, getting together, I want the two of you to be happy, just remember to treat her well, she means too much to me to not let you know how special she is."

The silence between them stretched on, in my mind I imagined two gun slingers each with fingers twitching and poised on the trigger in some old Western. Unable to stand the tension in the room I stretched dramatically and feigned waking up,