Chapter 19

Finally he pulled away from our embrace, just far enough so he could look me full in the face. He watched me for a long second as if trying to memorise my features before a huge grin spread across his face. Stopping himself from laughing he mused out loud,

"So, I took your breath away by just kissing you" clearly enjoying himself a little bit too much, "Well I'm going to have to be careful with you, I mean I don't want to give you a heart attack." leaning in he kissed me gently on the lips.

"So, is that alright? You don't feel light headed or anything?" He teased.

"No, that's ok" I said playing along trying to sound like this was a serious conversation.

Then with a cheeky smile spread slowly across his face and he moved his hands to my waist, with an expectant look he asked "So what about now?"

"Still ok" I replied sighing heavily.

With an air of innocence about him, like he was conducting an important science experiment, or a doctor prodding and poking his patients to see where it hurts, he dropped his hands onto my bottom, then tucked his fingers into my jeans pockets "And now?"

"Well that's just about ok, but I think that's all I can take" although said humorously there was an element of truth behind what I was saying.

Yes I really, really, liked him but I'd been this way about other boys in the past and I'm eternally grateful I didn't jump into bed with them after 5 minutes as well. No we were going to be taking things slowly, very slowly, whether he liked it or not.

He then moved his hands and started tracing patterns up and down my arms "How's the heart do..." he stopped mid word with mouth agape. I froze unsure what was wrong, 'shit' perhaps he's having some kind of episode, I thought he was joking before, I was wondering now if he had been trying to discretely tell me he had a heart condition or maybe an aneurism. His hands dropped from my arms and he took a step back from me. All humour and colour had washed from his face, the horror increasing with each moment; I knew I was starting to tear up, my mind filled with visions of me performing mouth to mouth and pounding desperately on his chest. His eyes finally focused on mine, I could see him blinking hard to control his emotions. Shaking his head he said

"I can't believe I did that to you" His words stained with remorse.

It was then I realised he was no longer about to collapse and die in my arms and I exhaled relieved. So what was wrong? I stared at him vacantly, I had no idea what was going on, my paranoia was again reaching new heights as I fast forwarded through the last ten minutes, time and time again. When I didn't say anything he took my arm and lifted my sleeve, to reveal a vast array of purple and blue contusions with smatterings of nasty looking blood red finger marks. Even I was shocked by how vicious it looked.

"It's ok, I know it looks bad but" I started but he cut me off.

"Don't make excuses for me" he said angrily. "What I've done will never be ok. How can you stand to let me touch you?" he asked incredulously.

"You're right it's not ok, but I understand you were upset and didn't know what you were doing." I reasoned.

"I am so sorry, I feel nauseous just thinking about what I've done to you." He said sullenly.

"I know, it looks a lot worse than it is, I just bruise really easily." He raised his eyebrows in disappointment at my platitudes.

"But" he interrupted.

"No let me finish!" I said, a little too forcefully, but I'm no one's push over and I wasn't going to let him think I was, even if he was feeling sorry for himself. "You're right, you should never have grabbed me, you really did hurt me, but everyone deserves a second chance, but that is all you will get. Now if you ever hurt me, physically or emotionally again that'll be it - GAME OVER! You've had your 'do-over' understand?" With his eyes down cast he nodded his head.