Chapter 3

At 7:30 sharp there was a quick rap on the door, I rushed to open it, stepping out I closed the door behind me.

 “Good you’re ready, and after the amount of wine you drank last night I have to say I’m impressed”, he said looking at me a little dubiously.

 “Thanks, I think there was a compliment in there somewhere”, I followed him down the stairs and out into the cold morning air, “You didn’t have to do this, thanks again”, I smiled appreciatively at him, he smiled back and I noticed behind his long dark eyelashes he had bright, emerald green eyes, I couldn’t believed I hadn’t noticed them before, in the morning light his dark, handsome features contrasted stunningly with his vibrant eyes, I was amazed I hadn’t realised how good looking he was, I hoped my staring hadn’t been too obvious.

 “So, how long are you going to be swimming for”, I thought for a few seconds

 “Half an hour, 40 minutes”, before I could ask why.

 “Ok, I usually run for about 40 minutes so I’ll come in and meet you, if you like?” he offered.

 “Are you sure? You don’t have to, you know.”

 “No it’s fine, I’m passing this way, so I’ll just wait for you”, he nodded as if deciding it in his head, then without another word he ran off round the corner.

The pool was empty, and the clear water looked perfect, I reached my hands above me then dived into the glassy water sending ripples like cracks along the surface. The water was warm and my body responded to the caress of the water, I felt my muscles relax and I eased myself into the stride of my stroke. My mind raced with the events of yesterday, I was still pissed with Katie and knew I needed to talk to her about it; I’d do that whilst we were shopping. Despite what Daniel had said, I still thought Chris was an idiot, and although I’d never say it to Katie, she could do so much better than him, but if he made her happy, then that should be good enough for me.

 Then of course there was Daniel, I couldn’t make him out, I knew he had a girlfriend he doted on, so why was he being as nice to me, in my experience of boys, ok so it wasn’t vast but still, they were never just nice to you, there had to be a reason, perhaps he really did need my help with his assignments, perhaps it was like James and me, we just liked each other, there was no kind of chemistry between us, after all he was gay so chemistry was unlikely. So perhaps, that’s how Daniel saw me. I looked up and saw Daniel making his way along the spectator benches, I hadn’t realised the time, it felt like I’d only been there five minutes, I made my final turn and swam the length back to the deep end to my towel. I was glad I’d brought my towelling dress to throw on rather than make him wait for me to get dry and dressed, I noticed him watching me as I climbed out the pool, I quickly put my dress/towel on and my pumps and motioned to him I was leaving.

“You didn’t have to rush, I’d of waited for you, and I’d definitely let you get dried and dressed”, he said earnestly.

 “No it’s alright, it’s kind of you to escort me back, I didn’t want to keep you waiting as well. Oh and this is my towel, I’ll jump in the shower when I get back and get dressed it’s only a couple of minutes walk” I offered.

 We exchanged small talk about his run and my swim as we walked back to the house. As we reached the top of the stairs I turned left to go into the dorm,

 “So what are your plans for this morning” he asked,

“Well, I’m starving, the first thing I’m going to do is have some breakfast”, I don’t know why but after he’d been so thoughtful this morning I felt obliged to say, “I’m going to have scrambled eggs on toast, you can join me if you’d like”.