Chapter 53

Katie's was the first wedding I had been to since my own, I recalled feeling the ceremony seemed to be over in a flash, it felt like I was no sooner walking down the aisle then I was walking back again with my husband on my arm. I smiled to myself as I thought of Joel stood waiting for me, just seconds before the music started as my dad shuffled next to me waiting for our musical cue, I could see him, his back tense with nerves, but as soon as the organist struck the first note I could see his body relax and as he turned to look at me his whole face was filled with joy and happiness.

But now as I waited for Katie outside the same church I felt my heart contract as I thought of what the future holds. Images of our wedding filled my head, all the hope for the rest of our lives, the plans we made and the contentment we shared, my sad reminiscent smile echoing the loneliness I suddenly felt. My reaction to Joel's news had shocked me, in the depths of my subconscious I had always known one day he would marry again. Even after I had resolved to never allow myself to get that close to anyone again, Joel had sighed, chastising me for giving up on love and happiness, he was the type of man who thrived when he was in love, it was as if his whole being was invigorated, and seeing him with Nicole I knew they would be happy together.

Katie finally arrived and after a couple of minutes of chaotic organisation she was finally ready to be escorted down the aisle and given away by her father. I ushered the two perfect little flower girls to go ahead and illustrated yet again how they should sprinkle the petals, a few with each step. I gave them each a stern look hoping they would realise last week's practice when they emptied the contents of their baskets onto the floor, then sat on the floor and proceeded to throw the petals at each other just wouldn't cut it today. They giggled to each other as they made their grand entrance. With each step they took a growing chorus of 'aaahhhh's' followed, I beamed proudly as I watched the two of them gracefully scatter their petals evenly.

Breathing a sigh of relief Katie and I giggled together as our daughters completed their task for the day, then sharing one last look we got to our positions and the music started. As I walked behind Katie and her dad I scanned the crowd for friendly faces, I recognised several old school friends before my eyes fell on James, who gave me a thumbs up and nodded his appreciation for my look, I chuckled as I continued walking. A little further on I could see my dad nudging his date, pointing me out proudly to her, my face almost splitting with the grin we shared. My eyes danced with happiness until they met the searing stare of Daniel, the giddy joy I had only a moment before experienced was now replaced with self-conscious awkwardness. I could feel his eyes raking over my body and watching my every step, by the time I finally reached my seat I could feel my face burning with embarrassment.

For the entire ceremony I kept my eyes focused on Katie and Chris and fought the urge to turn to look into the eyes I could feel burning into me. Unlike my last visit to the church this time the ceremony seemed to last forever and I swear my relief was palpable when the guests broke out a ripple of applause as the newlyweds glided down the aisle and out into the sunshine.

Unable to control their excitement any longer Evie and Millie ran to Katie's mum and dad the second the bride and groom had left the building. I could hear their yelps and giggles all the way down the aisle and even when they were outside in the gardens. Their laughter carried over the growing hum of conversation as the guests made their way out of the church, taking my seat again as I waited for the masses to leave I chuckled as I pictured them running around like tiny whirlwinds. Closing my eyes, just for a second, so I could fully appreciate this short moment of calm before the exertions of the day recommenced and the chaos resumed.

"Hey how you doing, honey?" James whispered as he slipped into the empty chair next to me.

"Oh hey James" I said opening my eyes.