Chapter 35

As the first rays of sunlight filtered through the chinks in the shutters I groaned loudly and pulled the sheets over my head. The night had as expected, been turbulent to say the least. Every time I closed my eyes I could see the two of them together, smiling, laughing, building their future.

Every night was the same no matter how hard I tried; my dreams were filled with the happy couple. During the day my conscious mind was able to keep my body busy and my brain occupied, so at the first indication of my thoughts drifting I was in control and able to focus on something else, anything else.

Unfortunately during sleep my mind was allowed to wander wherever it liked, and even more unfortunate is that it seemed to like to dwell on Daniel. My dreams were vivid and my imagination flourished with the challenge of conjuring up images so painful I would wake each morning exhausted.

Half dreading the reflection that would greet me when I finally managed to drag myself out of bed and into the bathroom, I reluctantly trudged across the hallway. My apprehension was justified; I was use to the shambolic mess on top of my head, which until washed and brushed looked untameable. That's not what shocked me, no it was the hallow eyes staring out from behind red, heavy lids that disturbed me most.

"Dear God" I said to myself, "Looking like shit would be an improvement on this." I said pulling on the skin of my cheek bones to get a better look at my zombie eyes. I sighed sadly to myself before taking one last glance at the horror movie in the mirror before cleaning myself up.

My Gran knew my plans for the day and as I tossed my bag over my shoulder making my way out the door she called after me to collect the lunch out the fridge she'd made for us both. Hurriedly I shoved the plastic container into my bag, thanked my Gran for her thoughtfulness and kissed her gratefully on the cheek.

I walked the short journey to Adams grandparent's house, it was only just after eight but the air was already sticky indicating the day would be a scorcher. As I approached the house I recognised the figure leaning against the garden wall.

"Have you been waiting long?" I called out as I quickly curtailed the distance between us.

"A minute or two, your Gran telephoned to say you'd left." By this time I'd reached Adam. He gave me a once over, taking in my appearance before ushering me towards the kitchen and breakfast with his grandparents.

"Hiya love" Carol said turning as we walked into the room, before I had chance to reply, her cheery expression changed to one of deep concern.

"Oh love, come here" she said putting her rotund arms tightly round me for a hug. I could see confusion flicker across Adam's face

"Your Gran told me all about what happened, still pretty bad hey?" She didn't need to hear my reply to know the answer to her question.

"Well I can tell you this, if I ever get my hands on him, I'll ring the little bastard's neck." I know she was being all serious and supportive, but hearing normally prim and proper old people swear, and like a trouper I might add, was just so funny. I tried to stifle my giggle but it was useless, the look of shock on Adam's face was hilarious.

"Nan, what's with the language?" his scolding tone made me laugh out loud, she stuck her tongue out at him and I giggled again at the role reversal taking place in the kitchen. Then looking between the two of us Adam asked bewildered.

"Okay so what have I missed?" His eyes flitting between his nan and me expectantly. I sighed heavily and looked at him forlornly.

"Oh dear, that bad?" And he scrunched his nose up on one side sympathetically.

"Alex I hope you're hungry" I heard Tony call from the patio just outside the French doors, moments later he appeared at the door.

"Good God child! Haven't you eaten since you were last here?" He walked over to me and lifted my arm up to take a better look. "You're all skin and bone; better get some of this food down you before you fade away." He said as he ushered me towards the table laden with food.