Chapter 8

I'd walked as far as the sports hall when I heard my name.

"Alex, Alex wait up", I knew exactly who the voice belonged to and I turned round beaming.

"Oh hiya, you alright?" I asked trying to sound very nonchalant when inside I was exuberant.

"You going already?" he asked a little breathlessly, it was obvious he'd been running, "I'll walk with you to the station if you want, my classes don't start till ten so I've got plenty of time" he offered.

"No it's alright, you don't have to do that, but thanks for the offer" shaking my head as I spoke.

"Don't be so stubborn" and taking one of my bags off me "Your bags are heavy and do you even know how to get back to the station?" He had a very good point, on both counts, so I conceded to his higher level of reasoning and simply nodded my acceptance.

The walk to the station seemed a lot shorter this time and although I tried to hide my disappointment I knew I sounded deflated when we reached the platform and I held out my hand for my bag.

"Think I can take it from here, thanks again".

"When's your train due" he asked,

"Twenty passed" came my glum response, looking a little confused he asked

"Why did you leave so early? It's only just eight now", shrugging I replied

"Well as I wasn't exactly sure where the station was I thought I'd better leave myself enough time just in case I got a bit lost" now he was the one shaking his head.

"Why didn't you just ask me to come with you?"

"No I'd of found it in the end, besides I think I've taken up enough of your time already, I am grateful you showed me the way though but you don't have to stay".

"You trying to get rid of me?" he asked in good humour, "So what's Liverpool got in store for you today then?"

"Nothing exciting, I've got a couple of lectures today then I'll be off to the library for a couple of hours. I'll probably just take it easy for the rest of the evening, I might watch a bit of TV, what about you?" I asked, not just out of politeness but also because I just wanted to know as much about him as I could and I wanted to keep our conversation going for as long as possible.

"I've just got the one lecture today then I suppose I'll have to study, seeing as you've put us all to shame, later I've got rugby practice and after that the lads usually go the students union for a couple of pints, but that's about it".

"Its union you play isn't it?" I asked conversationally.

"Yes" he looked at me puzzled for a moment then smiled, "You keep doing that, surprising me", shrugging a replied

"I've got three brothers, all of which are sport mad, I was either the goalkeeper, the wicketkeeper or the fly-half as a kid, plus I come from a Northern town, my grandparents are die hard Widnes fans, I've spent many a cold night sat on the terraces listening to my granddad explain 'only real men play rugby' and the differences between union and league." I could see he was thinking over what I had said.

"You're not like a girl, not really, that's probably why we get on so well".

"Hmmm, I'm sure I should be insulted?" I mused.

"Probably" he said laughing, just as I was trying to think of a witty remark the train pulled into the station. He held my bag out for me to take it from him; I took it and thanked him again.

We stood there for a moment, neither one of us moving; as the seconds stretched on I could feel the awkwardness between us, running his hand through his hair his discomfort was obvious

"Erm so, nice to have met you and I'm sure I'll see you again when you come back, bye". With that he turned and walked off quickly. He didn't even look back, not once, I didn't quite know what to do, I got on the train and felt numb, I wanted to cry, I was so disappointed and I knew I didn't have a reason to be, but I just thought, oh I don't know what I thought.