Chapter 37

The rest of the week followed the same routine I would get up, collect Adam and go the beach for the day with some combination or other of the English kids joining us. Chloe had wisely stayed away and I hadn't mentioned what had happened to my Gran even though I had a pretty good idea that Adam had told his grandparents of Chloe's misdemeanour the first chance he got. Adam was great but he couldn't hold his water never mind his tongue when he knew a secret.

Saturday was going to be a busy day, it was not only Adams last night before he went back home to Essex for four weeks, I sighed as I realized it'd be a long four weeks, a very long four weeks. Today was also the day the twins were arriving; I was both excited and anxious about them turning up. My Gran had asked if I'd go the airport to collect them, I reluctantly agreed I'd much rather be spending the morning on the beach than stuck in a hot, claustrophobic car. But my gran had played all her aces, so I didn't stand a chance against her guilt trips and blackmail.

I glanced again at my watch; they should be here by now I thought as I leaned on the bonnet of the car breathing in the warm air. I closed my eyes and enjoyed my last couple of minutes of peace before the inevitable chaos broke loose.

"Get the bags, sis" I heard Matty's distinctive voice call to me from the doors of the airport arrivals lounge. As I turned to look at them I noticed each had acquired a pretty little blonde under their right arms. I opened the boot of the car for them to put their bags in and stood by the driver's door waiting for them to meander over to me.

Clearly not hearing Matty call me 'sis' the girl under his arm eyed me up and down trying to decide what level of competition I was to her for my brothers attentions. The thought of being in the car and in such close proximity to the twins sent a shudder through me, so I was mystified why anyone would choose to have either of twin's sweaty armpits rubbing against their shoulders; I looked at the blondes completely baffled.

"Oh Dom, your little sister's so cute." The other girl squeaked in an annoying nasal tone. Patronising cow I thought until I looked at her, then my irritation turned to utter abhorrence, as I realised she was like twelve. My normal sympathy for the boy's conquests had vanished before they had even reached the car. With a blatant look of disbelief I shook my head whilst I greeted the group.

"Is that even legal?" I asked wagging my finger between Dominic and the blonde child, he just laughed whilst she looked confused.

"Hiya Alex" Dominic replied, "Slow flight, you've just got to do the best with what you've got." I raised my eyebrows and sighed heavily, he just laughed and gave Matty a knowing look.

"Well boys I hate to break this up, but surely their parents or teachers will be wondering where they are." And I smiled smugly at the young girl who had foolishly patronised me earlier.

"Oh no" piped up the other, still eying me and trying to decide how much prettier than me she was. "This is a girl's holiday, there's actually nine of us." She smiled brightly clearly excited by the Mediterranean adventure she had day-dreamed about.

"Oh right, you've just done your GCSE's I get it." I nodded as the penny dropped before I continued, "So you girls are what... 16?" I waiting for one of them to nod, then smile at the girls before turning to my brothers and frowning. "Lads need I remind you you're 22" I pointed out to them feeling they had forgotten this very poignant issue. Rather than the sheepish look I was hoping for they just shrugged and each other.

"Right, shall we go?" I suggested as I opened the door and started getting in.

"Erm Alex, get in the back I'm driving," Matty said challengingly, I knew he was trying to sound big in front of his new friends but there was more chance of me leaving them at the airport than me backing down and climbing into the back seat whilst playing gooseberry to Dom and the school girl he'd picked up.