Chapter 9

The days since I'd come home had seemed incessant, normally focused, I found myself daydreaming during lectures, thinking about what Katie had done over the weekend, wondering if James and Mark had asked after me and always thinking about Daniel.

I spent hours after lectures in the library working on assignments and revising but no matter how hard I tried to stay on task I retained nothing I could only think about my return visit. At night, my dreams were centred on Daniel, he was all I could think about and the closer it got to my trip the greater my anticipation.

I was conscious I was starting to get reality and fantasy Daniel confused, I couldn't work out why I was getting so obsessed with him, yes we'd spent a lot of time together that weekend but nothing had happened, he hadn't kissed me, actually I don't think he'd even touched me, yes we'd got along really well but for him we were just friends, he'd said it enough times.

I replayed the events of that weekend over and over again in my mind, the more I thought about it, the more I looked at each objectively, the more I realised the only thing happening between us was a little harmless flirting. I concluded that yes we both liked each other but nothing would ever come of it, he'd as good as told me I was one of the lads and he did, after all, have a girlfriend.

Once I had come to this realisation my spirits were somewhat dampened but I was still looking forward to seeing everyone, I'd been so wrapped up in Daniel I'd hardly given anyone else the time of day. I'd worked late the last couple of nights to make sure I didn't need to do any studying whilst I was there, so I wasn't planning on going to the library. I'd ask one of the others to go the pool with me, I'm sure Sarah would, especially if I promised to ply her with alcohol during my time there. So by the morning of the return trip I had decided I would keep as much space between Daniel and me.

The drive through had been clear and I'd made good time, I arrived at the student halls just after three, as I was getting my bag out of the car I spied James walking towards me. He'd just got out of his final lecture for the day and he and a couple of friends were making their way back to the dorm.

"Hiya, come here you", pulling me roughly towards him he embraced me like an old friend he hadn't seen in years, "I think Katie is still in class so you can come in with me and we'll have a cuppa. I wanted to talk to you anyway" he said conspiratorially.

He ushered me into their kitchen, "So, you and Daniel?" his face open, waiting for my response.

"Me and Daniel what? You didn't finish your sentence" I noted.

"Really? You know what I mean", came his exasperated reply.

"Where's that cup of tea you mentioned?" I reminded him "And I don't know what you mean, really".

"Listen, I'm not blind I saw the way you two were with each other, so spill".

"There's nothing to tell, but I'm sure Daniel has already told you that, and that's why you're asking me. Sorry to disappoint but there's no gossip here" I said a little sadly.

James considered my answer for a minute, "Firstly, I am not a gossip! And ok so nothing happened but that doesn't mean you didn't want something to happen", I could feel my face flush so I quickly turned and started rummaging in my bag. "Alex, I like you, you are the only person here who knows the truth about me, so I'm telling you this as a friend. I know Daniel is great, he's good looking, funny, kind, smart, but he has a girlfriend, I've seen him with her, he loves her, I don't want you to delude yourself and I don't want you to get hurt" he gave me a sympathetic half smile.

"You're right I do like him, and I know we're never going to be more than friends, but it's ok. I'm going to keep my distance as best I can, but that means you're going to have to resurrect your role as my future husband" I said laughing. James had only said what I knew, but hearing it from someone else made me feel desperate and a little sad.