Chapter 17

I'd tossed and turned all night regurgitating what had happened. I cursed myself over and over for needing Katie to fight my battles against 'cow bag' - Tina. Smart ass, one line killers kept popping into my head, ooh if I'd just said this or this, what a shame they came to me 8 hours too late, story of my life. If Katie hadn't turned up I'd hate to think what would have happened, she could have kicked my head and I'd just be stood there too shocked to say anything, I knew I was crap with confrontation but that was ridiculous, perhaps I need to join an assertiveness evening class, otherwise self defence lessons maybe a good idea. All my life Katie had been there 'watching my back' and although she'd come to my rescue again last night, that's not always going to be how it is, I need to toughen up, get gobby.

By seven o'clock I'd had enough and finally gave up on trying to sleep. Still unsure about whether to stay a couple more days and try to sort things out I decided to do the only thing I knew would help me clear my head - go for a swim.

Within minutes I was out the door and heading down the stairs. My thoughts were so tumultuous as I reached the foyer I hardly noticed there was somebody coming in through the door I was about to exit. I didn't even bother looking up to see who it was, I wasn't in the mood for small talk and pleasantries I just desperately wanted to feel the soothing water caressing my tense muscles. Half in a daydream premeditating my swim I was rudely and abruptly brought back to the here and now as the person entering the door barged past me, well in all honesty I'd say actually barged intentionally into me.

I spun round expecting to see Tina glaring at me and I quickly tried to recall all the clever retorts which had kept me awake last night. I was not expecting to see Daniel glaring at me, the sheer ferociousness of his snarl and look of disgust caught me off guard. I looked at him for just a moment but saw nothing in his face but anger and resentment. Cursing myself I knew words were failing me again, I had a feeling of déjà vu as I yet again just stood there like a rabbit trapped in the headlight of a fast approaching car.

"What got nothing to say?" he sneered, seeing so much loathing in his eyes, although confused as to the reason why, I took a step backwards. He must have sensed my urge to flee as he made a heavy grab for my forearm and before I had time to out manoeuvre him he held my arm hard and tight.

"You hypocrite, you think you're so much better than everyone else, you're just a slag" he ranted and he held tighter onto my arm, the more a struggled to get away the stronger his grip.

Finally finding my voice "What's up with you now?" I shouted into his face.

"I feel sick just looking at you, I've seen Mark, yeah he told me all about it, you vindictive little bitch, I can't believe you'd use him like that just to get back at me." with each word he squeezed my arm tighter and tighter, by the end of the tirade I had excruciating pain radiating from his clenched hand. I stopped struggling, as I knew it was futile, with tears of pain, shock and disgrace for I knew he was right about Mark streaming down my face I lowered my head and in little more than a whisper I spoke,

"Please let go, you're hurting me" although he maintained his grip he suddenly went very still and quiet, raising my eyes to look at him I repeated my request.

"You're hurting me, please" my voice breaking on the final word, as he looked at me I could see his expression change to one of shock, his eyes widened and stared confused at me, as he registered what he'd done he slowly released my arm from his vice like grip. Within a moment I had yanked my arm away and bolted through the door.

I was already halfway to the pool before I heard Daniel shout after me. My heart thrummed loudly as I sprinted faster and faster, I knew I had to get away, I couldn't face him. He'd know I was going to the pool, and although my body ached to be in the water I knew I couldn't face another confrontation with him, I needed to calm myself down. So I continued running, instead of heading left towards the pool and library I cut right and run through the maze of White, maisonette style dorms.