Chapter 47

"I'll give you a lift." Stuart offered as I headed towards the bathroom to check myself out in the only full length mirror in the house.

"No, it's alright" I said shaking my head, "I'll drive; besides I'm not sure what time I'll be back." I called out as I straightened the straps on my favourite red dress.

"Alex, it's okay I'll pick you up any time you like." The frown on my face didn't meet with his approval. "When did you become so boring? One night won't hurt...in fact it'd do you good." Stuart added as he peered over my shoulder, looking me up and down before whistling his approval. I blushed and elbowed him in the ribs attempting to hide my embarrassment.

"I don't know." I said quizzically as I tried to make up my mind. Stuart was right I did need a night off, for the last few months I had barely lifted my head out of the books, if I wasn't revising for my own degree I was working on Joel's 'never ending' thesis.

I just wasn't sure tonight was the night I wanted to let my hair down, when I'd accepted Joel's invitation a couple of weeks ago, to a party at his house I had envisaged a half an hour flying visit in which I showed my face and quickly gave my excuses. But since then Joel and his house mates hadn't stopped talking about it and if that wasn't bad enough, three of the lad's girlfriends had sought me out in the university library to ask me what I was wearing, from their interest in my wardrobe choice I knew my original idea of jeans simply wouldn't cut it. Even after I had flatly refused to join them in a shopping trip they had still each shown me the short, tight dresses they had bought for the occasion. The more fuss they made the less I wanted to go.

Given the choice I'd of sooner spent the evening in the local pool hall with my brother, putting the world to rights, at least I could wear my jeans there. Stuart had only decided to visit a few days ago and he was only staying for the weekend, so when I hinted to Joel there was a very good possibility I wouldn't be able to make it to the party the disappointment on his face had guilt-tripped me into going. Standing in front of the mirror now I really wished I wasn't such a pushover.

"So are you about ready to go?" He asked as he rummaged in my bag for the car keys.

"Yes." I replied as I blew a long breath out. "But if I'm not driving I'll need to stop off at the off-licence, I can't go empty handed."

"Yeah sure no worries, let's go." Putting his arm around my shoulder he squeezed me to him and kissed the top of my head. "You look really pretty tonight Alex; you look more like mum every time I see you." We both half smiled at each other sadly.

I cannot believe I had forgotten how awful a driver Stuart was, if I wasn't fearing for my life, as he narrowly missed parked cars and sped through amber traffic lights. I was considering a multi-car pileup would at least offer release from the deafening, tuneless noise Stuart claimed to be singing. Regardless of what song was on the radio the racket produced by my brother bore no resemblance to it...whatsoever.

"Ooooh this is posh." He said as we pulled into the driveway.

"Yeah its lovely isn't it?" I agreed, then giving him a quick thank you hug I grabbed my bag of alcohol and jumped out the car.

As I approached the open front door I could see Joel in the hallway, by the time I had waved Stuart goodbye Joel had joined me on the doorstep.

"Who was that?" He asked his tone a little clipped as he inclined his head in the direction of the departing car.

"Oh, that was Stuart...my brother." I clarified.

"Oh great" he said smiling brightly, "Come on let's get you a drink shall we?" I handed him my bag and nodded my agreement at the same time. Still grinning brilliantly he grabbed my hand and pulled me through the bustling house towards the kitchen.