Chapter 26

I'd enjoyed the last couple of days a lot more than Daniel, my dad, bless him, did his best but it wasn't the same as being round a complete family, one not constantly in the shadow of loss. I liked to watch how they interacted with each other, each just saying what came into their heads, if someone upset them they just told them so, it was just real. I couldn't remember a time like that, I always thought about what I said to my dad in case it upset him. After my mum had died my dad had cried himself to sleep for months and I made myself a promise that I'd do everything in my power to protect him from the pain of her loss as much as I could, so my conversations with him were always guarded. Just watching their carefree attitude to each other was lovely to see.

Daniel had rediscovered his love of running and twice a day he'd drag me out for a jog with him. It was good to get out, just be alone for a while, which I knew was the reason for his sudden renewed health kick. We ran to the park about a mile away, and then on through to a secluded wooded area, then making sure we were alone he would sit on a tree stump and pull me onto his lap so I was facing him. We'd spend the next twenty minutes kissing frantically like the end of the world had just been announced, until finally I'd drag him up and we'd race back to his parent's house.

I'd tried to make sure Daniel spent as much time with his family as possible, much to Daniels annoyance

"They're happy I'm here they don't expect to see me as well" he complained

"Stop it, this is their time with you, we'll be going back to Wrexham tomorrow and we've got almost two weeks to ourselves, now be nice to your family and show them how much you love them." Although my chastising was light hearted I meant everything I was saying.

"Are you kidding?" The incredulous look on his face made me giggle

"No, I've watched your sister struggling with her revision why don't you offer to help her out? Ask your dad to go with you for a drink tonight and most importantly give your mum a kiss and tell her you love her." I instructed helpfully whilst pushing him towards the door.

"Yeah I'm not sure" he scrunched his nose as he spoke

"Just do it, I've got some reading to do so I'll be fine whilst you go do the dutiful son bit for a while, please." I fluttered my eyelashes at him frantically.

He looked at me like I was borderline special needs, but he went down the stairs anyway. I got one of the text books out I'd brought with me and started reading. After about fifteen minutes he was back, and bearing tea and biscuits.

"That was quick" I asked questioningly putting the book face down on my lap.

"Ok so I'm going out with my dad later to the pub if that's ok, I tried to help my sister with her revision but it's Spanish so I said you'd be down to help her after your tea and my mum started crying after I kissed her and told her I loved her. She wasn't fooled for a minute she knew it was your influence on me which had turned me into a sap, now she likes you even more and told me to make you tea and biscuits, happy now?"

"I like your mum" I said giggling

I drank my tea quickly and went to help Emma with her Spanish revision. She was quite good, with a nice tone to her voice. She mainly practiced for her aural exam which was coming up in a couple of weeks. She had a list of questions which she had to put answers to. It took about ten minutes to go through them all; her answers were good I just gave her a few more adjectives and advice on tenses and masculine/feminine agreements. She wrote them down and we run through the questions a couple more times.

"So what's next?" I asked expecting her to move onto reading or writing.

"Well I'm rubbish at maths, so any help you can give me there would be great" and she shot me a pretty, shy smile which reach her grey eyes.