Chater 36

The following morning I again woke up exhausted and although I looked as much like shit as I had the previous day I had a warm glow to my skin from yesterday's trip to the beach to help disguise the huge bags under my eyes. Getting The Henderson's telephone number off my Gran I waited until after breakfast to call Chloe. I told her of my plan to go to the Nook and spend the day there, it wasn't until I told her Adam would be joining us she sounded interested. Success I thought until just before I put the phone down I heard her call to someone who had obviously just arrived at the house.

"You'll come the Nook with us today won't you? So far its just Me, Alex and Adam." She clarified.

"Oh god yes we'd love to" I heard the Conroy girls chime, my skin shuddered as I thought of an entire day with them, and in such a confined space.

"We just called round to see if you wanted to hang out." I'd like to hang them out of a tenth storey window I thought uncharitably.

"Tell them you'll meet them there in an hour, we'll ring round the others and we'll bring the beers they can bring snacks." I could hear Angelique's orders from down the line.

"Okay see you there in an hour." I said as cheerfully as I could.

I told my Gran of the change of plans and asked her not to cook me any dinner, and whilst I phoned Adam she stuffed sandwiches and snacks into my bag till it could hold no more. "Hey Adam, Chloe's on for today" I started excitedly, just so I could lull him into a false sense of hope.

"But it's full beach party, your girlfriend invited the Weird Sister's and now everyones invited." I could hear him groaning into the receiver.

"I fear the force may be weak in this one" He said in his best Darth Vader voice, I giggled not because he was funny but because he was such a 'sci-fi' nerd.

"You do know pretty girls don't go for geeks, right?" I teased

"Are you trying to tell me all those movies you've made me watch with you over the years were all just... LIES." He paused for effect.

"Every last one of 'em" I played along. He continued to complain about the nights he'd lost watching chick flicks with me and lamented the hours he'd never get back. Until finally I'd listened to his moaning for long enough, I told him I'd be there in five minutes so he'd better be ready to go. I put the phone down, took my bag of goodies off my Gran, kissed her on the cheek thanking her for everything and rushed off down the road to Adam. By the time we reached the beach and thrown our bags on the hot sand I could already hear some of the others at the top of the cliff making their way down to us.

The first to arrive were a couple of the McKensie kids. Mr and Mrs McKensie had four children, who in turn had reproduced nine or ten grandchildren, I can never quite remember, they all just seem interchangeable. Throughout the Summer there would always be anywhere between two and four McKensie kids staying with their grandparents at any one time. The two joining us on the beach today were Paul and Dean, they were cousins and around my age. They looked so much alike they were often mistaken for twins, inevitably they got on like a house on fire with Matty and Dom. Each year challenging the other set of twins to a snog off. By the end of the Summer they would tot up their conquests and the teaming with the highest number were pronounced winners and held the crown until the following year. There were of course rules, you couldn't snog the oppositions female relatives, a rule I am certain both of my brothers have broken at least once and possibly with the same cousin. Also she couldn't be a 'minger' so the Conroy girls had always been out, much to their annoyance and oblivion.

"Hey Alex, where are the lads?" They both asked scanning the tiny patch of beach incase I'd hidden them.

"They're not coming over till the weekend." I confirmed.