Chapter 39

When I woke in the morning my mood had not improved, the list of negatives was mounting up. Firstly I would need to face my tit of a brother, secondly my only real friend in Spain would be on his way to the airport for home and thirdly to add insult to injury, I have an unbelievably awful hang over. Despite the gallon of lemonade I'd consumed, following my brother's orders, at regular intervals throughout last night and I still had a performance of 'Riverdance' going on in my head, and the mini Michael 'Bloody' Flatley in there was certainly going for it...sadistic bastard.

The sun was already streaming through the gaps in the window shutters and shining mercilessly in my eyes. Rather than energise me for the coming day it only added a strobe effect to my hangover, oh shit I need to not be awake, a couple more hours and the tap dancing cacophony torturing my brain might have eased to bearably painful. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse the nausea hit me with lightening speed. Within a second my mouth had filled with saliva which I was swallowing desperately but to no avail, it was like trying to bail out a sinking cruiser with a bucket. I darted out of bed and forgetting the excruciating pain in my head I sprinted for the bathroom. Experience had taught me it was only a matter of moments before I was abruptly separated from the remaining contents of my stomach. Flinging myself towards the open toilet bowl just in the nick of time.

It still amazed me the inevitable yellow substance which always makes an appearance after hangover vomiting. It's resemblance to the yolk of an egg yoyo-ing between my mouth and the lumpy 'water' in the toilet made to retch again. Just when I thought I'd finally turned my stomach inside out and emitted it's entire contents into the toilet the fragrant aroma of frying bacon and sausage reached my nostrils, turning my uvula into a vomit trigger, I was again spewing into the previously white porcelain bowl.

Worn out and cold I staggered back to my room and collapsed into bed, pulling the duvet over my head so the evil light couldn't reach my eyes and burn away at the sockets.

"Alex, Alex it's 8 o'clock." My gran screamed up the stairs. "Come on! The days wasting away." I pulled the covers tight to my head. "Alex! Get up now! Your breakfast is going cold, you've got five seconds young lady before I drag you out of that bed." Her tone thick with irritation, I contemplated banging my shoe on the floor a couple of times so she'd think I was out of bed but what was the point? She would only lose it when I did finally get up. At least this way the purposely loud voice she used when she knew any on her grandchildren were hungover would be moderately better than the full on shouting she'd do later.

After gripping one side of my head firmly, in an attempt to deter the thumping dance routine rattling around my skull. I gingerly padded down the stairs and onto the kitchen. The room was filled with delicious cooking smells which unfortunately made me feel very sick. Ignoring my brothers I held my breath and grabbed a slice of toast and a glass of orange juice before heading to the garden patio.

"Morning love." My gran said cheerily as she saw me approaching.

"Good morning Gran." I muttered in return, each word a massive effort. My Gran eyed my breakfast disapprovingly.

"Hangover?" She asked curtly, sighing I nodded my head, there was no use in lying the evidence was already stacked up against me. Not only did I look even more like shit than I usually did and I was attempting to hold my head together with my hand. But my usually hearty breakfast had been replaced with a cold piece of toast I knew I would struggle to stomach.

"Well as long as you had a good night, love." She whispered as she stood before kissing the crown of my head and walking back into the kitchen.

I was both amazed and grateful for this new kinder side to my Gran's normal sergeant major routine. I sipped unhappily at my juice and ripped the toast into little pieces, not even bothering to attempt to eat it.