Chapter 40: Show me.

He loves me.

I leaned my forehead against the wall saying he loves me, I smiled to myself saying he loves, I frowned at my reflection in the mirror saying he loves me, I screamed into my pillow and whispered he loves me. At that point, I concluded that Adrian saying I love you was both good and bad.

It was good because, well, I loved him and he finally loved me back.

It was bad because just when I thought I couldn't fall in love with him even harder, he had to say those three words that made me fall in love with him even harder! How was I going to forget those three words after summer was over and he was gone? how was I supposed to forget that Adrian Mackey loved me.

Jesus.

I didn't respond to him on the field, I just got up and said my Dad was calling me even though he wasn't. I went home and locked myself in my bedroom but I did hear him talking to my Dad downstairs, he didn't come up to knock on my door and I appreciated that. Sometimes I felt like he and I were starting to understand each other a little bit too much.

I grabbed a romance novel and buried my nose in it in order to distract myself.

I smiled at how sweet and caring the male protagonist was acting, he was an asshole at the beginning of the book but he changed for her.

Men in real life don't usually change for a woman, they don't pick a woman over power or other things.

I now understood why fictional books were made, real life sucked and people needed a good lie to escape reality.

"Writers are such good liars." I slapped the book shut and brought myself to my feet.

I rubbed my sweaty hands on the material of my mini Jean skirt, taking a deep breath before finally walking out of my bedroom.

I heard their voices in the kitchen as I descended down the stairs, I huffed and told myself that I was ready to face him while I neared the kitchen.

I walked in and... no, nope, I was not ready to see that sight, I was not!

He was behind the counter, wearing an apron but without a shirt on, the tattoo of my name was showing, he had flour on his cheek and hands and his hair was all messy. Damnit.

I fell in love all over again.

He looked up and we made eye contact, I swallowed and shifted my gaze to my Dad who looked at me suspiciously, I looked at him the same way.

"Hello, daughter." He greeted.

"Well, hello there, father." I responded in the same tone.

Adrian smiled to himself as he sliced something that looked like brownies. Damn that smile.

I took the seat next to my Dad on the counter and he looked at Adrian and then at me.

I knew he had questions about the tattoo.

"We have to talk, father daughter kind of talk." He whispered to me while looking at Adrian.

"Yes, I know." I sighed.

"Anyway." He pulled his phone out of his pocket and checked the time, "I have to meet up with Lucy but to be continued." He got up from the stool and kissed my forehead. "I love you, daughter." He started walking towards the exit of the kitchen.

"I love you too father, and tell Lucy to just move in already." I rolled my eyes. He turned around to face me.

"You mean that?" He asked.