Chapter 44: No goodbyes.

He promised me the best summer of my life, he gave me the best summer of my life. Adrian and I spent every day of that entire summer with each other, my dad and Lucy went on a summer vacation, I was supposed to go with them but that summer was about taking advantage of the little time that we had left, so they went to Miami without me but it was a win win either way cause Adrian and I literally lived in my house like a married couple.

I had the pleasure of seeing him shirtless most days due to that summer heat and the sight never got old.

It truly was the best summer of my life.

But as we all know, all good things must come to an end.

Adrian had to go to California in early August, something about him settling down before school started. That also meant that I was going to be the one that was gonna watch him leave.

I made us three rules.

Rule number one: No goodbyes.

Rule number two: No goodbye kisses.

Rule number three: No goodbye sex.

They were three simple rules, Adrian did try to protest at first but he gave up eventually.

Now there I was, watching him text on his phone across the counter while I ate my fries.

I wanted- no, I needed time to stop just for us, I wasn't done staring at him, I wasn't done calling his name, I wasn't done kissing him, I wasn't done making love to him, I definitely wasn't done loving him. For some reason, I spent that entire summer wishing that we could break up, I wanted us to have a big fight, curse at each other and then one of us could walk out on the other and never come back.

We did fight, mostly because I couldn't stop talking about us doing long distance and whenever he walked away, he always came back and every time he did, I hugged him tight and apologized like a love struck idiot, then he would make love to me and everything would be okay.

Teenagers make stupid decisions all the time but us giving up on each other and thinking that fate was gonna take care of the rest? That was just dumbness on another level.

And to be honest, I wasn't going to wait around for Adrian to finally place the world in the palm of his hand and say, you're small. It wasn't up to me to decide whether or not I was going to fall in love again after him, it was up to my heart and the heart is the most complicated flesh.

I sighed, letting my hand support my chin as I continued staring at him.

"You're eye-fucking me again." He said, his eyes still glued to the screen.

"Yeah, I'm eye-fucking you for the last time." I whispered.

He looked up with a serious expression, I gave him a lopsided grin.

"I thought we weren't supposed to talk about the fact that I'm leaving tomorrow." He went back to texting Jared.

"We're not." I said.

"Emily?" He called.

"Adrian." I smiled.

"You're not looking at me for the last time, just like I'm not looking at you for the last time." He informed me.

My mind played around with that statement and a voice inside my head told me the exact opposite, I shrugged her off, staring at the black journal that Adrian had placed on the counter earlier.

"What's that." I pointed at it.

"Emily, do you remember tattoo night?" He asked.

"You know I don't remember tattoo night and as far as I know, neither do you." I pointed out.