Chapter 42: Lethal promises.

Emily's POV.

We reached a pan brick building that had a ladder attached to the side of it, I looked at Adrian and he looked at me.

"There's no way I'm climbing up there." I shook my head in disapproval.

"Why not?" He asked.

"I don't do well with heights." I said, already stressing out.

"Seriously?" He raised his brows at me, I nodded.

"Seriously." I looked up at the building.

"Okay, how about this, if you climb up there with me. I'll let you read your romance novels to me for the entire summer." He declared, I looked at him with wide eyes and my lips parted in shock.

It wasn't like I hadn't been begging to read my novels to him or anything.

"You're shitting me." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I shit you not." He chuckled.

I felt the excitement in my veins and my heart flip-flopped.

"Okay, deal." I started climbing the ladder, trying my best not to look down. I reached the roof of the building and my stomach knotted at how high up I was, it wasn't that high but it looked that high to me. I shut my eyes and hitched my breath as I waited for Adrian.

"Okay, now what's happening?" I heard him ask.

"I'm panicking the fuck out." I kept my eyes shut.

I felt him hold my hand.

"Emily, open your eyes." He said in a lazy tone, I opened one eye.

He led me to the edge of the roof and I refused to look down at the street. Adrian took a seat, his legs dangling on the edge as he looked up at me. I shook my head.

"Nope."

"C'mon, baby, you've come this far." He pointed out, I was still shaking my head. "I'll catch you if you fall, like freaking Superman, I promise." He assured me, extending his hand towards me.

That promise was something people told their eight year old children but it somehow made me feel relaxed.

For the second time that night, I took his hand and carefully sat down next to him.

"Oh my God." My hands closed around his arm, he smiled at me amusingly.

"It's not funny." I stared at his mouth as the wind blew and I tightened my grip around his arm.

"No, it's cute." He whispered, bumping our foreheads.

"This is why you're not going to be making a lot of friends in Hollywood." I said to him, he nodded like he was agreeing with me.

"I don't need any more friends, you're enough." He looked at the other lined buildings.

Was that him telling me that we were going to remain friends? Just friends? Did people really do that? Become just friends with the people they loved?

"I don't want to." I said out loud.

"What?" He looked at me.

"I don't want to be friends with you." I repeated.

"Emily, please don't do this to me right now." He shook his head when he saw the look on my face.

"Depends. Are we going to do long distance or not?" I asked the question that we both avoided.

"I already told you, I can't promise you something that I'm not capable of fulfilling." His expression turned serious and he didn't meet my eyes.

"How exactly are you not capable of fulfilling a long distance relationship?" I laughed at how ridiculous he sounded.