(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨) enchanted

song for this chapter
enchanted - taylor swift

song for this chapter enchanted - taylor swift

✧✧✧

ESTELLA DIDN'T SLEEP THAT NIGHT. She lay awake watching an invisible performance above her head. The performance was of course the dance, two figures entwining themeless in gracious arms and spinning glamour. Estella was scared that if she did fall asleep she might wake up and realise it had all been a dream. After all Carlisle had been so dream-like. He didn't fit with the rest of the grandeur not because he didn't seem expensive or established but because he had an ethereal presence about him.

His skin had glowed, his hair was golden and his eyes were unmistakably different. Estella swore she'd seen them change colour and she was beginning to think it wasn't just because of the fire light they'd been reflecting. It was his voice as well, that silken voice which could've calmed her down even in the most frightful hurricane.

She didn't know him, Estella knew nothing about him. Then why was he impossible to wrench her mind away from?

The next day was simply a countdown. She went through her frivolous activities, none of them mattered to her of course. All that mattered was the idea of slipping out of her window as the sunlight dimmed and cast watercolours of orange and pink over the horizon. She could see it in her minds eye, all the beauty of the world and him reflecting it all in his perfect skin.

Estella waited until the house was silent. Apart from herself, she lived with her father and the maids, the butlers and the cooks. Of course they were all in very different parts of the house. Estella knew that she wouldn't be heard as she shut the widow behind her cautiously and hurried down the spiralling stone steps out into the world.

Maybe it was the awareness of naivety that held her back for that clear moment. Estella knew all of this was too good to be true. Never in her life had she been fortunate to experience something like this. She'd only read about it, secret love lying in dark ink words scrawled over paper. It didn't make sense to mesh so well.

He didn't make sense either, Carlisle. Estella didn't want to question what made him different out of fear that she wouldn't like the answer. Knowing he wasn't from around here was enough to strike her heart in quiet anxiety as she traced the near empty streets towards the place where the party had been held only the night before.

It looked even more beautiful without the torches of fire and the busy canopy. The absence of the laughing voices and spinning dresses simply drew attention to the call of nature around them. Trees which stretched up towards the heavens and the gorgeous lake reflecting the topaz sky above.

At first she assumed he hadn't come, it hit her harder than she had expected mainly due to the overflowing excitement she'd become accustomed to.

However as she turned her gaze to the left, she saw him.