(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧) how did we get here?

song for this chapter
decode - paramore

song for this chapter decode - paramore

✧✧✧

"SHIT" Estella muttered as she dropped down from the tree, she landed perfectly. Turning she saw that five pairs of eyes were still on her. Two filled with anger, one fear and two sympathetic. Carlisle was not among them. Next second, the front door opened. He stood there staring at her wildly.

Estella didn't have time to think, she turned and ran. The trees flitted past her, blurring into green as she hopped from stone to stone. Birds flurried into the air from the commotion, awoken from their slumber. The sky was dark but the moonlight guided her way.

She knew that he was behind her, running just as agile as she was. Estella also knew that he would never catch up to her unless she wanted him to. But she had to stop running at some point. She couldn't fly into the town packed with humans running at a ridiculously fast speed. They'd only see a blur, fast as light but that would be enough for questions to emerge and questions was all it took for the Volturi to strike.

Estella took a left, hoping to throw him off. It didn't work and now she had no idea where she was going. Carlisle had the advantage of these woods. He hunted here constantly and this was only the third time she'd entered them. All the trees looked the same and now even the moon was blocked behind a cloud. Estella took another left, then a right to ensure she didn't end up back at the house. Maybe that's what he was hoping for.

Este wondered what Carlisle would do if he caught up with her, hold her hostage until she accepted his apology. Maybe that would clear his conscience although she doubted that he would be so cruel.

She took another right, hoping she'd find her way out the trees soon. Maybe then he'd stop following her. Este could hear him behind her, he didn't call out to her. Maybe he couldn't think of what to say. The trees were too close together on this pathway, she turned left and saw a large amount of sky in the distance. There was a clearing.

Hoping she'd made it out, Este sped up. She wasn't even aware that she could run this fast. In altering circumstances it would've been exhilarating. Now she just felt panicked, she wanted to remain a show, a mystery. Estella just wanted to disappear.

Este made it into the clearing and skidded to a halt immediately. It wasn't a clearing. She was standing in a beautiful hidden world, or so it seemed. She stood on a cliff looking down to what she assumed to be a lake. It was surrounded by these rough edges, untouchable or so it seemed. The water glittered in the moonlight, the trees swaying serenely around the edges of the cliff. It was incredible.

She'd been so absorbed in the beauty of the hidden lake that she'd completely forgotten why she'd been running. It rushed back to her as she heard him behind her skidding to a halt. There's was no where to go now. Este could've jumped to the other side but only with a lot of momentum, something she didn't now have. Jumping into the lake and climbing up the other side seemed an extensive amount of effort to go through, but would it be harder than turning around and facing him?