(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱) i'm the man

song for this chapter
the man - the killers

song for this chapter the man - the killers

✧✧✧

ESTE LIKED WEEKENDS. Carlisle rarely worked over the end of the week if he could help it. Of course sometimes he couldn't, there was no telling how busy the hospital was going to be but for the most part he preferred to be home with his family at the first opportunity.

The rest of the Cullens usually hung around the house if they weren't going away to hunt. They travelled most of the time they needed to drink mainly so they didn't draw attention to themselves or kill to much of the wildlife in one state.

There wasn't much that the Cullens liked to do together. They'd sit around and talk a lot, play chess or other games that they'd collected. Este found that she was particularly good at cards but not as good as Carlisle who seemed to be able to beat everyone at everything (except Alice and Edward). The two gifted Cullens didn't join in with the games. Edward was usually sulking in his room whereas Alice liked to watch the games carefully, trying to not tell them who would win.

However there was one thing that the Cullens loved doing together, something that Este learnt required a storm. This was baseball.

The American pastime, that's what they said. The storm was necessary to mask the sounds of them playing as it could cause a lot of noise considering their strength and speed. Este was surprised to hear of this hobby, vampires playing baseball wasn't something she'd heard of before and unfortunately for her she'd never been able to play it.

However towards the end of January, a storm hit. One of the biggest that Colorado had seen in years. The sky was a dark navy during the day, the trees swaying ominously from the wind, some cracking under the pressure of the gales.

Alice had been talking excitedly about the storm all week, she'd seen it coming. Este had seen Alice excited about a lot, she always seemed to be bouncing around overjoyed by something or other but this was something new entirely. One of the main motivations for the family wanting to play baseball was simply to get Alice to stop talking about it.

"So what do you think Este?" Emmett grinned at her, "batter or fielder?"

"How fast are you?" Jasper was looking at her calculatingly.

"I don't know" Este stared at them in exasperation, "fast?"

"Batter" Emmett and Jasper both concluded at the same time. Este wished she knew what had drawn them to this decision. As she stared hopefully at Carlisle she saw his eyes were drawn towards something else. Edward was coming down the stairs.