(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞) need you here to stay

song for this chapter
line without a hook - ricky montgomery

song for this chapter line without a hook - ricky montgomery

✧✧✧

ESTE KISSED CARLISLE FOR a long time, mainly because she couldn't believe that this was real, that he was actually the person standing in front of her. The sky around them was a faint orange and a rainbow stretched across the dawn. Este saw this as a sign of hope.

After a while they pulled away. Este stared at all the details of his face, the colours in his eyes. Amber gliding into shadows. Age didn't hinder vampires yet the years had changed him ever so slightly. There were shadows under his eyes and small concentration lines etched over his forehead, she supposed that came with his occupation.

He smiled very lightly, obviously enjoying her presence as much as she was enjoying his. Este moved forwards, wrapping her arms around him as she rested her chin on his shoulder. It was simply good to be close to someone again yet the best part was that it wasn't just someone, it was Carlisle.

Carlisle twisted his arms around her waist, pulling her tight towards him as he kissed the side of her neck gently before resting his face against her shoulder. Este was glad that the new year was keeping people off the streets, she would've hated anyone to interrupt this moment.

"What are we going to do?" Este asked lightly, pulling away from him so she could stare directly into his eyes.

"Do we need to think about it now?"

"I'll worry about it if we don't and I don't want to be worrying about things anymore... I want to get past this, so we can be happy"

"Well I don't know about you but I'm very happy" he smirked.

"Carlisle" Este sighed, "seriously, you're the rational one"

Carlisle smiled with more understanding now, he took the strap of her backpack from her arm and threw it onto his own back instead, looping his arm around her waist and lying his hand across the bottom of her ribs.

"Home's this way" he started walking back the way they'd came. Este's heart twitched at the word home. They started walking towards the sunrise as Este lay her head against his shoulder, feeling as though she'd walked the world in a night. She didn't know she could feel wary. Maybe she was just tired of fighting.

"Alice saw danger for my family" Carlisle stated, "that doesn't mean you cause it directly, there's always danger"

"Yes but there must be some connection" Este pointed out.

"Well there's two obvious options, or one of you look at the bigger picture. The Volturi and your old coven"

"That's true, Nova would never give up an opportunity to be apart of the Volturi and Aro is desperate to get Edward and Alice on his side"