(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞) love will tear us apart

song for this chapter
love will tear us apart - joy division

song for this chapter love will tear us apart - joy division

✧✧✧

ESTE HAD BEEN PRACTICING CHESS again when the Cullen children walked in the door. She'd heard the silver Volvo pull into the garage and the sound of the five laughing together about something that had happened at school. She couldn't help but smile to herself, the normality of the Cullens made her strangely happy.

Jasper was the first to walk into the living room, eyeing the chess board suspiciously. Este had been reading different moves out of a book propped up next to her, her eyes scanning the pages before she moved the pieces carefully. Then she'd spin the board balanced on a broken record player and learn the defence by reading the pages towards the back of the book.

"You're really determined to beat me, aren't you?" Jasper laughed as his eyes scanned the different moves she'd played.

"I'd say it's more a build up to me being able to beat Carlisle first try" Este replied, "but sure I'd say I'd enjoy finally beating you"

"Reset the board?" Jasper asked as he took a seat in front of her. Este nodded, snapping her book closed and rearranging the pieces back to their original places.

Edward had followed the rest of the Cullens inside, walking straight towards the piano. Este hadn't heard him play yet, he hadn't been hiding away in his attic room but he hadn't seemed calm enough to throw himself back into his hobby. However now, as the Cullens sat around messing with the tv and flipping through books, the calming notes of piano drifted through the room.

The music really was magical, Edward had a talent for creating effortless beauty. Este was distracted for a moment in placing the pieces, she paused with the queen between her fingers listening to the music that contained the room. No one else seemed to notice as much, they were probably used to it. Alice seemed rather content in her seat however, staring at the chess board. Este knew she'd already seen the outcome.

"How was school?" Este asked the other four Cullen's as Rosalie fought Emmett for the TV remote.

"Boring" Emmet replied, holding the remote above his head so Rose couldn't reach it.

"It must be easy for you, doing high school again over and over" Este frowned as she finished placing the chess pieces at the beginning of the game.

"Yeah the difficult part is trying to act normal when we know everything" Emmett laughed, Rose had lunged for the remote now, "although some things do change... History for instance"

"Oooh yes History is fun" Alice beamed, "Edward loves history lessons, don't you Edward?"

"They're alright" Edward replied across the room, still playing the piano.