(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫) waiting in the sky

song for this chapter
star man - david bowie

song for this chapter star man - david bowie

✧✧✧

"YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL!" Alice gasped as Este stepped out into Alice's bedroom. Alice was right, as usual. Este wasn't sure where Carlisle was taking her but she had been ensured that she had to look nice. Alice had found her a perfect blue dress, longer than knee length but not a gown. It was a powder blue, the material falling from her shoulders ever so slightly. It seemed to glide around her perfectly and she stood slightly elevated in a pair of heels.

"Yeah you did a good job" Este laughed, brushing her hair back off her face and examining the makeup that Alice had been doing for the last hour, or so it felt.

"I am talented, that's true" Alice jumped up from the bed, "however, you're already stunning so I suppose the hard work was done for me"

"You flatter me" Este laughed, picking up some dangling blue earrings and placing them in her ear.

"One more thing" Alice seemed very excited considering this was not her date, "I found it, in your jacket pocket ages ago. I wasn't looking through your things... I was just sorting your wardrobe out—"

"What is it?" Este frowned, turning to look at Alice.

She held out her pale palm. On top of her skin say something that Este had completely forgotten about. The coils of golden chain moved in perfect shapes connected to the same pendant that Este had once held onto to feel comfort, happiness, sadness, anger, frustration. Or really to feel anything at all. It was of course the necklace that Carlisle had bought her for her twenty second birthday all those years ago. She remembered it now as though it had been yesterday.

"I forgot about that" Este gasped as she walked over to Alice and took it lightly out of her hand.

"It's beautiful" Alice swooned, "simple yet definitely effective"

"Carlisle got me it" Este murmured.

"Oh how perfect!" Alice exclaimed, "here, turn around... I'll put it on"

Este smiled, moving her hair from the back of her neck and staring at herself in the mirror as the small star appeared between her collarbones again. For a long time she had worn this necklace everyday without explanation. Even after Carlisle had left her, even on the days she couldn't be more angry. It had sat there, cold metal against her icier skin. It hadn't been until Quinn had asked her about it that the necklace had found a new home in her pocket. It had always been there, waiting in the confide of the leather jacket, waiting for a second chance.