(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧) poison tree

song for this chapter
poison tree - grouper

song for this chapter poison tree - grouper

✧✧✧

ESTE DIDN'T WANT TO TEMPT FATE and say that things got better after her conversation with Edward but the statement seemed rather accurate. Edward stopped hiding away in his attic room blasting music, he'd be in the same vicinity as Este and he'd talk happily to his family around her as though nothing unusual was going on. He'd play the piano in the corner and judge people on the TV. Este felt she actually saw him now rather than the stubborn teenager he'd been trying to be.

He still didn't talk to Este but he didn't glare at her angrily anymore. If she walked into the room he'd smile faintly and go back to what he was doing. Este was thrilled at this, she didn't want to push her luck by trying to talk to him but she could feel that things were changing now and they would continue doing so.

Carlisle seemed a lot less wary all the time since Edward went back to normal. Before he'd been stressed in and out of work, obviously scared that Edward was going to take off again. Now they talked as they used to. Este could see the bond between them that she hadn't before. It was evident that they'd been together for the longest.

She liked watching from afar, never getting too close in case she tarnished the picture. Edward was tolerating her and she was grateful for that. Este could see herself getting along with him in the future, she half wanted to ask Alice whether this was a possibility but instead she relied on optimism and told herself that everything would come with time.

It seemed everything had worked out perfectly with the other four Cullens. Alice had already loved her and Emmett seemed a stranger to bad thoughts so he always maintained cheerful conversation. Since their chess games, Jasper and Este got on pretty well and Este was yet to beat him in chess despite playing him more than anyone else did.

Surprisingly, Rosalie had become a fast friend to Este after the baseball game. This wasn't something Este had expected. She'd hoped the girl would start to trust her but this growing bond was beyond anything she'd hoped for. Rosalie liked having another girl around. Alice was amazing of course but Este was a lot calmer.

Este and Rosalie also had a lot in common. They talked a lot over the coming weeks, playing games of cards and taking strolls out into the woods. On one particularly nice Saturday Rosalie, Este and Alice had all driven out to go shopping together which was Alice's favourite pastime. Este tried to hide how amazingly happy this had made her as though she was slowly becoming part of this incredible family.

The idea of danger seemed to be free of everyone's minds throughout February. Alice hadn't seen anything new and Carlisle hadn't found any more news to report on the coven situation. The lack of murders was only worrying because it meant they had no idea where the coven were. Other than that it was great that they'd stopped killing.