(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞) never fade away

song for this chapter
starlight - muse

song for this chapter starlight - muse

✧✧✧

EDWARD WALKED BACK INTO THE HOUSE slowly. Carlisle looked up, surprised to see him back. Edward had been determined to find her, he hadn't given up. Even after the four months when Carlisle had let his hurt and anger get the better of him, Edward had been out searching. There didn't feel to be much point behind it. She was long gone by now, not in Italy, not in Washington and certainly not in Colorado.

Everyone stared at him as Edward walked slowly into the room. There was something behind his eyes that hadn't been there before as though the motivation had slipped away in shadows growing thin. Carlisle stood up, staring at him with a troubled expression.

"What's happened?"

Edward sighed. He obviously didn't want to tell them. Carlisle understood then that it must be something bad, had he heard something? News? A sighting? Had he figured out where she was?

"I saw her"

"Where?" Alice jumped up.

"Italy"

Carlisle internally cursed himself. For four months he'd been in Italy looking for her. He had known that she would show up at some point, that she wouldn't runaway before she got the opportunity to speak to the Volturi. He'd been so stupid to believe that she'd slipped past him. Carlisle had been driving himself crazy waiting for her but now he knew he'd been right, he'd wished he'd stayed there just two months longer. He hadn't even known that Edward was stationed in Italy. Last time he'd checked Edward had been searching around Washington.

"She's not coming back is she?" Carlisle asked quietly.

Everyone stared at him. As though they hadn't expected him to accept this straight away. Carlisle already knew. Two months ago he had realised that if she wanted to be here, she would've told the truth. He understood that Estella simply didn't need him anymore, not in the way that he needed her. He couldn't feel ok about it. Carlisle had known that if this search for Estella didn't go now he hoped, it would take a very long time for him to get over it but that didn't mean he was clueless.

"She's not coming back" Edward confirmed, "I tried, I'm sorry I said all I could"

"I know you did" Carlisle looked at the floor, this was too much.

"What did she say?" Rosalie asked.

"She was being very pessimistic" Edward explained, "she believed it would never go right because in her life things have always ended badly. She said that she didn't want to hurt any of you and she believed that if she came back she would be putting us in danger again"