(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞) all the fear and the fire

song for this chapter
wasteland, baby - hozier

song for this chapter wasteland, baby - hozier

✧✧✧

ESTE WAS AT FIRST RATHER GRATEFUL when the school term started and the Cullen children had to go back to pretending to be students. She liked having them around for the most part. Carlisle worked a lot and it was nice to maintain conversation with someone while he was away.

Yet this conversation only usually happened with Alice and Emmett. Este would listen to Alice ramble about the world for hours. Half listening and giving general responses. Este loved the girl but after hearing hearing her talk about the spring collection for some British designer twelve times, she'd learnt zoning out was the best option.

Emmett was much more inclined to talk about sport. Este believed she preferred fashion, less anger. Emmett was easy to get along with and didn't seem to care about the impending doom that Este may or may not be hanging over them. He reminded her of a friend she'd had back when she'd been human. That became a comfort to her in the changing days.

Jasper didn't engage in conversation, Este saw him a few times. Usually Jasper wasn't doing much. He didn't sit down very often, instead he'd stand in corners reading books or watching thing from afar. Este tried not to find this creepy. Jasper was often in rooms alongside Alice but seemed to zone out just as well as Este did when Alice would turn to her instead.

Rosalie and Edward stayed out of Este's way. Rose would smile at her if they ever did occasionally cross paths. Este saw this as a win. Edward on the other hand never saw her. He was very good at never being in the same vicinity as Este which was making it very difficult for her to try and make things right. Occasionally she'd talk in her mind, wondering if he was hearing her genuine apologies. If he was, nothing was ever said about it.

At first Este had believed that the kids going back to school would allow Carlisle and Este to have more time together but it was quickly evident that this wasn't the case. Carlisle was very passionate about his job and therefore worked most of the time. Este didn't complain about this, they had forever after all. But it seemed the only times he was around was when the kids returned.

Of course he managed to take some days off, the hospital didn't need him all of the time. These days were always Este's favourites. They had the whole house to themselves for once which came in very useful for them. Este just had to keep her thoughts to herself whenever Edward came home. Apparently he often got very annoyed at his siblings whenever images like that swirled in their minds. Este guessed he'd be even more pissed at her. Maybe it would teach him to stop staring into her thoughts, it was making her uncomfortable.

When Carlisle did go to work he'd leave very early in the morning and come back when the sky was dark. Este did miss him even if she'd become accustomed to being alone for the many years she'd been forced into it. Now she was desperate to be with him all the time. Este worried she was becoming obsessed but she supposed that's what she got for suppressing her love for too long.