(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫) death or paradise

song for this chapter
no time to die - billie eilish

song for this chapter no time to die - billie eilish

✧✧✧

ESTE TURNED ON HER HEEL AND RAN. She wasn't sure she had ever run this fast before, the trees blurred into one lump of green but her eyes were desperately placed forwards, she had to get as far away as she could. Three were following. She guessed, Nova, Sahara and Devon.

The world around her was closing in, Este felt she couldn't breathe even if she didn't need to. Her eyes clouded with anxiety and she willed herself not to trip. She ducked branches with perfect precision. Leaves hit against her face but she didn't stop. She couldn't.

Everything was coming crushing down around her now. The world made perfect sense. She knew she would've never turned against the Cullens given the choice. She'd never taken into account that the choice might not be hers.

The contorted image that Yule had placed inside her head stained her memory. She saw her own dark red eyes, the black robes. Carlisle lying at her feet, dead. It hurt, she could not do this but if they caught up with her now there wouldn't be another way out.

She imagined the looks on their faces, her almost family. They wouldn't understand. Edward would believe he'd been right all along but this wouldn't please him. Rosalie and Jasper would be furious, Emmett would be confused and Alice. Este didn't want to think about Alice.

More than that, she thought of Carlisle. The one who had trusted her until the end. He'd never seen the bad in her. He'd loved her more than anyone else could have ever loved her and Estella loved him. She loved him so much that it hurt, it pained her to leave him. Tore her apart to hurt him but she'd believed she'd been keeping him safe. Now she realised she'd done the opposite.

Este ducked further into the woods. She had no idea where she was going and she also knew that Nova was not going to give up, she was alight in revenge and Este remembered exactly how that had felt. Only Nova was not as rational as Este was, not anymore. Nova would not be shielded by love, only driven by hate.

She should have listened to Laurent, he did care about her even if he was taking a path that pulled them apart. He was too deep in all this mess now. He knew he couldn't escape but he had given Estella the opportunity, she had seen it in his eyes yet she'd ignored it.

Este knew the Cullens wouldn't see it coming. Alice's vision won't have changed. It added up now. Este standing against them and they'd see her for who they believed she really was. They'd see her as their villain, their biggest betrayal. Este wouldn't be able to tell them the truth, not if Sahara got a hold of her mind.

Quinn's fear revolved her head as well. She hadn't expected it. Not when Quinn seemed so close to Nova, so desperate to seek revenge on the Cullens for taking Este from him. But Quinn was not malicious, only narcissistic. He did care even if he hid it under his sly words and permanent smirk. He had always cared about Estella, she saw that now.