(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞) darling i'd wait

song for this chapter
J's lullaby - Delaney Bailey

song for this chapter J's lullaby - Delaney Bailey

✧✧✧

ESTELLA DID SEE HIM AGAIN, not that there had been much question about it. Two days after their walk along the lake he'd shown up outside her window at nightfall. It wasn't as though she had been waiting for him yet as she sat reading while the sunlight dimmed, it was as though she knew he was there before she'd looked out of the window.

They walked through a forest this time. Usually Estella would've been terrified to walk through the dark and eerie trees as the night began yet his presence didn't leave any room for anxiety. He asked her questions this time and she responded eagerly. She would've told Carlisle anything he wanted. Of course he never pushed for much more than family history and hobbies but there wasn't a thought in her mind she wouldn't share.

Two nights later he returned. This time they found themselves in a meadow, lying in the grass and looking up at the stars. Estella allowed Carlisle to talk her through the different constellations stretching over the sky. Of course she already knew lots of them and he was aware of this yet Estella loved nothing more than hearing him talk. There were some stars she didn't know the names of. He talked about them so easily as though the information was written on a page in front of him.

He knew so much that he could've been a star himself. Estella wouldn't have been surprised, he had an ethereal presence after all. As they lay in the softly mellowed grass she found that their hands were intwined yet again. This was something she was growing used to. The shock of his icy hands had worn off now and Estella was only filled with warmth as she lay beside him.

They spent most of their time outside. Estella couldn't say that she knew where Carlisle lived but that didn't bother her too much. They'd walk and flow easily in and out of conversation. Silence was never forced nor awkward and Estella couldn't remember the last time she allowed herself to be so relaxed.

Occasionally they'd dance just as they'd done the night they'd met. At first Estella believed that this would be strange due to the absence of music yet somehow the perfect flow of their movements filled quiet air and distracted them from the peacefulness. Sometimes Carlisle would hum gently to himself as he span her around. Estella would find herself smiling and then his angelic laughter would fill the space between them.

Despite the days treading deeper into winter, Estella never realised the cold surrounding her. They spent the coldest nights walking until Estella could see her breath in small clouds before her eyes. This shocked her somewhat. Evidently the distraction of Carlisle had stopped her from realising how cold it actually was. Carlisle claimed he could barely feel the cold so she decided not to mention it.

Christmas came soon after that. She wasn't surprised to find that Carlisle was quite religious. Estella had never known where to stand with religion. As a child she remembered desperately believing in a God until she prayed to God to keep her mother alive until her birthday. After she lost that she supposed the belief ebbed away but she still managed to partake in many of the religious celebrations.