(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞) i lost myself

song for this chapter
karma police - radiohead

song for this chapter karma police - radiohead

✧✧✧

ESTE KNEW THAT AS SOON AS she arrived in Italy she was at risk of being seen. She was still yet to figure out whether the Cullens had decided to come after her or not but whether she was being watched or whether it was all in her imagination, she felt as though she were on edge as she stepped off the plane in Rome.

After six months she'd presume that they would've given up anyway. Yet she was always nervous that running away wasn't going to work. After all, nothing had worked out for her thus far. Everything just kept going wrong and she wouldn't be surprised if that included her will to disappear. Six months wasn't as long in the face of eternity.

She'd have to take a train to get to Volterra. Este would walk but she felt she didn't have the time, running would draw attention to her and she'd already had to charm two members of airport security to stop them from looking in her bag. Things weren't going brilliantly for her.

On top of all that, Rome was ridiculously sunny for the month of September. Este supposed that September could count as summer but to her she related it to rain and storm clouds. Now she walked quickly in the shade with sunglasses on and a hat pulled over her head. Nobody really turned to look in her direction even when she jumped behind a telephone box to avoid a small clink of sunlight.

She felt more relaxed on the train. Her backpack on the seat beside her. Este kept her sunglasses on mainly because she was enjoying seeing the darker version of the world and all its colours. She bought tickets when the attendant came around, still using the money that Carlisle had given her months ago. It was weird to think that everything happened over a few months. Now another six had gone by and Este was beginning to realise why people said that time was a construct.

If finding Nova hadn't taken her so long she could've been gone by now. Of course Nova had maintained the idea she was running away even when she wanted to be found. Nevertheless that was all over now. Este was nearly finished in this life, ready to start again. She was already thinking of names for herself. After all, she'd need a new identity if she had any hope of succeeding at this mission.

The train took two hours. Este observed the chaos of human lives around her. Kids yelling at their mothers and music playing out of Walkmans. People talked on phones and flipped through magazines. Everyone seemed excited for the summer day, some dressed in clothes that only tourists would wear. The smell of sun cream filled carriage number four as Este leant her head against the window and watched the world go past.

She was first off the train when it eventually skidded to a halt. Jumping ahead of the crowds boarding for the next stop she ran through the square in order to escape the light she could feel shining onto her back. Este navigated the city of Volterra rather well considering this was only her third time being here.