(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞) back to black

song for this chapter
back to black- amy whinehouse

song for this chapterback to black- amy whinehouse

✧✧✧

Volterra looked the same as ever. The streets were awfully crowded with tourists and locals gaining money from interest. February did not grace Italy in sun, the dark grey storm clouds circled the sky and threatened rain to everyone who walked under them.

Este wasn't bothered about the weather nor did she care about the many people walking around the street laughing or complaining about the cold. Este had her eyes fixated on the large clock town in the square of the city. She had a goal in mind and nothing was going to distract her from this.

She'd travelled to Italy as soon as she'd finished watching Carlisle's figure disappear into the trees. The entire plane journey she had tried to imagine what was going on behind the walls of that house. Everything seemed twisted now that the family had turned against her. Este couldn't imagine how hard this must be on Carlisle and she couldn't shake the thought that this was her fault.

Whatever sick image Yule had planted in Este's mind never left. It burnt on her brain and she could see it whenever she closed her eyes. Este kept telling herself that it had been nothing more than an illusion, that the intent had been to upset her but she saw her own figure dressed in black robes, scarlet eyes and Carlisle at her feet and she couldn't help but wonder what the truth was behind the facade. After all, Alice's vision never changed.

Este had not alerted the Volturi to her arrival, after all she hadn't had time. Her plan had been to escape America as fast as possible. She'd lied to Carlisle and that had hurt but if she'd told the truth Carlisle may have jeopardised the relationship with his family, blinded by love. Este wouldn't have that, not after seeing the warmth of their home and the happiness that stemmed between them.

She could predict that Aro wouldn't turn her away. He'd be intrigued to hear her side of the story, or see it for himslef. Anyway, he didn't want her harmed or dead which only meant one thing. Aro would not kill off someone he saw as vital to his collection. Este knew that he believed her more powerful than she was but right now his ideas didn't matter to her. As long as she could use them to twist her way into his mind.

Este walked past a large fountain in the centre of the square and moved towards the large wooden doors that marked the clock tower. She saw a tour guide watching her skeptically but Este knew he would never catch up with her and if he did, he'd really wish he hadn't. Running into the Volturi did not grant freedom.

Inside the tower it was dark and smelt of damp. The first time that Este had been here she recalled thinking what a weird location it was to host the most royal and renowned vampire family. Now she knew the secrets that lay beneath the weathered brick, it didn't confuse her as much.