Chapter 2

*In recognition of the change in power, Mara bows deeply. Once she had risen, she gives a curt nod towards Pitou to thank them for the writing utensils. Meruem stands in front of Mara impatiently waiting for her to finish writing.*

Mara

My name is Mara. I have been kept as a captive for the majority of my life, kept in a small tower directly behind the royal throne room.

Despite my inability to command my nen for many years, I can easily recognize your power and I know well my life rests in your hands. Regardless of the precarious situation I currently find myself in, I hold no fear because such a concept comes from the idea that you are going to lose something.

People fear for their lives because they fear they'll lose treasured memories and belongings that they've accumulated over their lifetime. I haven't had the pleasure of accumulating such trivialities, instead I live my life carrying only burdens. My life might rest in the palm of your hand, but you can do with it what you will.

Meruem

What is wrong with this human... why won't she yield? Why won't she submit to my overwhelming authority in the fashion all the other humans have!?

*Meruem stands momentarily dumbfounded, unable to form a sentence. For the first time, he has encountered a human who does not cower before his inordinate amount of aura. Frustrated and confused, he merely gives a glare directed at Mara before walking away.*

Pitou

"Your Highness, would you like me to dispose of this girl along with the remains of the others?"

*Meruem turns back around to face Pitou, a mixture of emotions contorting his face. The sudden and unfamiliar composure of their King makes them falter.*

Meruem

"That won't be necessary. She foolishly revealed that she's— or was— a nen user. I'm putting you in charge of recovering her nen by any means necessary. Feel free to rile her up a bit, I don't care. As long as she stays out of my way and within your en range she can wander wherever. Once her nen has been recovered you may kill her... and save the brain for me."

*Pitou kneels on one knee facing the King.*

Pitou

"As you command, sire. It shall be done."

Pouf

I knew my King wouldn't succumb to sparring a lowly human! He truly is the most remarkable being in the world!!!

*Pitou watches disgusted as Pouf blushes and squirms at whatever thoughts were going through his mind, although they could take a pretty accurate guess as to what. Meruem leaves the two royal guards in the performance room, instead leaving in search of a throne to occupy.*

Pitou

"Alright human, you heard the boss! Get on your feet and let's go."

*Mara obliges, picking up the chain leash to carry.*

"Oh shoot, I should really get rid of that nuisance!"

*Pitou walks over to Mara, baring their claws. Mara flinches as Pitou effortlessly rips the cuff into two pieces, the metal making harsh contact with the floor.

Mara bows her head in thanks, carrying her newly acquired whiteboard and marker to an empty bedroom Pitou had led her to.*

Pitou

"Nyeow let's see... hopefully there's some feminine clothing in this closet!"

*Pitou opens the closet door to reveal a walk in space adorned with more gowns and clothes than Mara could ever imagine.*