Chapter 23

*Pitou finds Hina and Reina walking through the courtyard together. When the two spot Pitou approaching, they both bow.*

Pitou

"Please be at ease! I need your help with something..."

*Pitou tells the two of the King's surprise for Mara.*

Hina

"Omigosh this is going to be so romantic!! To be frank I would've never expected that from the King of all people..."

*Hina's remark makes Reina giggle, although she quickly catches herself.*

Pitou

"Neither did I... Mara has really changed him. Whether it's a good or bad development is to be determined."

Hina

"We've all changed though... or rather, we never changed to begin with. We are part human after all. The more time I spend caring for Reina, the more in touch I've become with my emotions... I don't think it's a bad thing at all."

*Reina blushes and Pitou starts to laugh.*

Pitou

"You're right, and I really shouldn't exclude myself from this transformation. It's odd though... two opposing forces fighting inside all of us."

Hina

"I suppose each of us has their own decision to make, which side do we embrace?"

*Pitou and Hina sigh in unison, exasperated.*

Pitou

"I suppose there's no use dwelling on it right now... we're all still under the King's command anyways. Speaking of which, he put me in charge of preparations for his surprise."

"I wanted to surprise him as well, or it'd be Mara surprising him actually. I thought getting her dolled up for the King would be amusing, but I need your help! I told her that the four of us would have a 'relaxation day' in a bid to keep the plan a surprise until the very last second."

Hina

"Ahh I'm totally on board! There's a bathhouse on the far end of the palace that Reina and I like to use... it has tons of amenities too. We could pretend it's a 'spa day'! Gosh, I haven't had one of those since my human days..."

*Hina softly sighs, reminiscing on her fragmented human memories. Reina watches the two converse, excited for the possibilities.*

Pitou

"Nyeow I see... we could use that as an excuse! I've already made breakfast for us all, I figured we could picnic outside."

Hina

"That sounds lovely... and right up Mara's ally. Thank you for thinking of us too."

Pitou

"I'm not deserving of thanks, I'm just following orders with my own twist. I'm just worried about keeping this secret all day."

*Hina hums in response.*

"I'll go grab the food from the kitchen. Mara should be in her room. I'll meet you guys in the gardens."