Chapter 21

Meruem

If this voice truly lives up to its reputation, I'm holding immeasurable power in my hand... yet I'm not even slightly compelled to use it...

Knowing her, she'd detest the idea of someone cheating their way to power... just like that moronic 'Supreme Leader.' This rightfully belongs to her, the perfect gift for my Queen.

*Feeling satisfied and accomplished, Meruem leaves to his throne room.

While Meruem was preoccupied with gift preparations, Mara had spent her day lying in bed, a dull pain consuming her body. She absentmindedly watches the scene outside from her window, rousing when she hears a knock at her door.

Mara slides out of bed, precariously putting pressure on her legs. She slowly makes her way to the door, opening it to find Peggy outside.*

Peggy

"Greetings Mara. I just thought I'd come to wish you well again... apologies if we disturbed you this morning."

*Mara shakes her head and invites Peggy inside. He obliges and sits at the coffee table, waiting for Mara to grab her board and sit across from him.*

Mara

There's absolutely no reason to apologize! It was a welcome surprise to see you all, I'm truly blessed to have such caring friends.

*Mara's comment flusters Peggy and he tried to nonchalantly play it off with a laugh.*

Peggy

"You're too kind. I assume lying in bed is getting boring though, I came to ask if you'd like me to bring you back anything from the library?"

Mara

You're perceptive as always... I've got to say staring out this window has gotten dreadfully boring. If you can find any books on biology or botany, I'd like to start studying more... those topics would be great.

Peggy

"Of course, I'll leave and take a look now. I'll be back shortly, and feel better Mara."

*Mara gives Peggy a half-smile and wave goodbye.*

Even while injured she's willing to practice and study her nen abilities... she's truly commendable.

*Peggy leaves Mara's room and makes his way to the library. Upon entering, he spends some time searching for suitable books for Mara and eventually returns to her room with an armful.

He finds Mara lying in bed, inattentively doodling on her board. When she hears Peggy enter she looks up with a beaming smile.*

Mara

Thank you Peggy! I owe you a good meal once I'm back on my feet.

Peggy

"You better believe I'm holding you to that promise. Good luck with the studying, I best be going now."

*Peggy and Mara share their farewells. Once Peggy had left, Mara begins to voraciously read, stopping every once and a while to practice her nen abilities. By the evening she has become increasingly proficient in her conjuration techniques, although the incessant practice has left her exhausted.*

Mara

It's been such a long time since I've practiced these techniques... I forgot how taxing it is. I'm sure practicing on an empty stomach isn't of help either...

Komugi probably hasn't eaten in a while... I'll go prepare a meal for the two of us!

*Despite the pain shooting through her body, Mara is adamant about cooking. She slowly manages to stand and get dressed, making sure to grab her board and walkman before she leaves. As Mara carefully makes her way to the kitchen, she listens to music on her walkman, the sound distracting her from the aches.