Chapter 15

*Mara nods in acknowledgment and begins to write on her board. Meruem rests his head on his hand as he watches Mara write, his tail swinging back and forth with curiosity.*

Mara

The only abilities I have are the ones I was learning and training during my time in the tower prior to my nodes closing. I could theoretically do more with my abilities, but I'd rather focus my efforts on regaining what I lost for the time being.

The whole concept of 'enhancing food' actually comes from my enhancement of plant-life. I've surmised this enhancement has recently become a subconscious skill, probably because I've grown to love cooking so much and I strive to provide everyone the best meal possible.

The biological purpose of enhancing flora is to speed their growth and to selectively breed them according to traits I deem desirable. Due to the education the former Supreme Leader put me through, I have a solid background in biology and ecology, which has helped greatly in the refinement of my abilities.

The theory behind my ability to selectively breed is to eventually move on to DNA manipulation, although that's just a far-fetched dream at the moment. I'm not skilled enough in manipulation since I'm naturally an enhancer, nor is my knowledge of biology strong enough.

Meruem

What a complex power... and it relies on her intellectual prowess as well.

"What's the difference between selective breeding and DNA manipulation?"

Mara

Although DNA manipulation will require more training and studying, it's a more powerful and time efficient technique than selective breeding. Selective breeding requires the growth of multiple generations of plants to inherit the desirable traits, plus I can't create something brand new. With DNA manipulation I could create any sort of plant I could dream of, whereas selective breeding is limited to the preexisting DNA of flora I have available to me.

*Meruem looks at Mara unamused, watching as she fidgets with the hem of her dress.*

Meruem

"That's it? For such a complex power what practically use does it have?"

*Mara smiles softly as she writes.*

Mara

I suppose it could seem like a mundane power, but I've always been enamored with plant life considering I didn't have the liberty to venture outside often. It was only natural that my nen would form around this interest. A majority of human nen abilities are in some way related to the mental state or interests of a person.

As I mentioned, I was training in conjuration and manipulation as well. Right before my nodes closed I was practicing a technique to control the will of flora itself.

For example, I was once able to grow vines to bend to my will, which was a great help when I had to reach the top shelf. The conjuration came into play considering anything I grew were grown out of my own life force, not from something pre-existing. I had trouble doing anything too grand since it's an exhausting technique, although it doesn't matter now since I'm back to square one.

*With curiosity once again piqued, Meruem's tail begins to swing again as he leans forward.*

Meruem

"Are you able to demonstrate this at all anymore?"

*Mara nods and places her board down on the floor in front of her. She takes a step back and lets her aura expand. Holding out her hand, palm facing up, she focuses her aura into her palm. The aura turns into a sage green, taking on a softer shape compared to Meruem's serrated aura.