Chapter 22

*Meruem and Mara finish dinner together, staying in the kitchen a while longer, finishing off their bottle of wine. The two talk about anything and everything, both of them refreshed to be talking about more trivial matters.

By the end of the night they're sufficiently buzzed, precariously walking back to Mara's room after she had cleaned up. Before Meruem can leave Mara in her room, she begins to write.*

Mara

My status has risen from captive to Queen, yet this change in title has not warranted me the knowledge I desire.

What is your name?

Meruem

"I apologize Mara, I wish I could tell you. I wasn't given a name... I am a nameless King."

*Mara smiles wryly and nods.*

Mara

I understand well what it's like to have part of your identity missing. I suppose I'll have to come with a nickname for you someday.

Meruem

"I'd like that. Goodnight Mara."

*Meruem turns to leave, too afraid to stick around any longer, too afraid to give in to his emotions. Before he can get too far, Mara grabs his arm. From behind, she stands on her tiptoes and pecks Meruem's cheek.

With liquid courage coursing through his veins, Meruem spins around and cups Mara's face. He looks into her eyes for a sign of consent before kissing her deeply. Meruem breaks the kiss, holding Mara's waist tightly.*

Meruem

"My Queen, you have made me submit to a side of myself I was told I cannot accept. Tell me I did not make a mistake."

*Mara only smiles in response, kissing Meruem once again. She wiggles her way out of his hold and begins to write.*

Mara

This 'side' you speak of is just one part of a whole, something you cannot escape nor deny. It is solely up to you to decide how your feelings will influence your fate.

That being said, I'll be by your side the entire time, that much I can promise.

*Meruem's heart swells with what Mara had said. The unfamiliar feeling frustrates him as he tries to resist the tantalizingly pleasant feeling.

Mara watches amused as a blush creeps onto his face.

Goodnight Your Majesty.

*Mara enters her room and closes the door behind her. On either side of the door, the two struggle with their undeniable feelings.

One is a quiet struggle: a struggle to piece together their fragmented self, to once again become human. The other struggle is loud: a struggle to welcome a part of themself they were told to resolutely reject.

With Mara's words still ringing in his head, Meruem enters his throne room and summons his royal guards. Pouf, Pitou, and Youpi bow before the King.*

Pitou

"Good evening Your Highness, what can we assist you with?"

Meruem

"Effective tomorrow morning, you three are to cancel all plans for the selection. I have decided I will find a new way to rule, a peaceful way."