Chapter 18

*Pitou and Meruem rush to Mara's room, Pitou holding the door open for the King with one hand, Mara's board in the other. Mara lies in Meruem's arms, her dress ripped and bloodied. He delicately lies her down on her bed and Pitou immediately summons Dr. Blythe.*

Pitou

"Sire, while Dr. Blythe is active the palace will not be protected by my en. Would you still like me to proceed?"

Meruem

"Mara takes precedent over all others. Make sure she is okay and fix her immediately!"

*Pitou nods complacently and allows Dr. Blythe to start working. Meruem watches behind Pitou as they tear off Mara's dress, applying antibacterial to her cuts.*

Pitou

"Dr. Blythe has finished their analysis... thankfully she has incurred no serious injuries. I'll finish tending to her cuts and bruises myself, although they'll take a while to heal."

*Pitou retracts Dr. Blythe and continues tending to Mara's wounds. Meruem breathes a sigh of relief and sits down by Mara's bedside.*

Meruem

"How long will she remain unconscious for?"

Pitou

"Dr. Blythe already gave her a pain killer injection. Once the pain subsides she should come to, it's only a matter of time."

*The two fall into silence, Meruem watching Pitou's every move as they tend to Mara. His immense aura puts a copious amount of pressure onto Pitou's back, but they ignore it and continue working. After an hour, Pitou steps back from Mara's side and turns to face the King.*

Pitou

"I've done everything I can for her. She's no longer unconscious but rather asleep, which will be much needed for her recovery. I'll take my leave now."

*Pitou bows and exits, leaving Meruem alone with Mara. Meruem stays by Mara's side throughout the night, eventually falling asleep as he watches her methodical breathing.*

~•~•~ The next morning ~•~•~

*Cheetu finds Hina and Reina outside and calls them over.*

Cheetu

"Hey! Did you hear what happened between the two royal guards yesterday?"

Hina

"No!? We were both off the estate yesterday, what happened?"

Cheetu

"I was also off the estate, but I heard from Welfin that Pouf allegedly tried to attack Mara but Pitou stopped him and intervened. The two got into a huge fight and Mara ended up injured in the process. Oh!! The craziest part is, even the King got involved! He shielded Mara from one of Pouf's attacks and took the hit himself... isn't that wild!?"

Hina

"Is Mara okay!?"

Cheetu

"Oh yeah she's fine just a little beaten up. Apparently the King carried her back to her room and Pitou tended to her injuries. I heard from one of the officers it was nothing serious."

"Although Mara concerns me greatly... I still can't get over the King taking a hit for her."

Hina

"Isn't that romantic!? Those two were made for each other, it doesn't surprise me in the least!"

Cheetu