Chapter 24

*Mara walks past Youpi as he holds the door to the throne room open. Meruem looks up to see Mara's silhouette approaching him, the golden light of the sunset shining through the windows and onto her figure.

Dumbfounded, Meruem stands from his throne, hesitant to approach the woman before him.*

Meruem

She's... beautiful. Mara described this sensation as 'butterflies' but this just feels unpleasant. What if I screw something up? What if she turns away from me!?

*Too preoccupied worrying over hypotheticals, Meruem doesn't realize Mara had stopped walking and was waiting in front of his throne. Mara looks down to write, Meruem rousing once she held her board up.*

Mara

You're looking at me funny... do I look weird?

*Mara averts her gaze and fidgets with her dress as she waits for a response. Flustered and discombobulated, Meruem responds with the first thing on his mind.*

Meruem

"Hardly! You look beautiful."

*Mara smiles gratefully, Meruem blushing at his own remark.*

Damn it! I didn't mean to say that out loud... Mara called this being flustered.

*Amused at the blush dusting his face, Mara silently laughs.*

Mara

Thank you.

Meruem

"Ahem!"

...

"I summoned you because I'd like to take you somewhere. I'll blindfold you though, it's a surprise."

*Intrigued, Mara steps up to Meruem's throne and turns around, allowing him to tie a blindfold. Once finished tying the blindfold, he wraps his tail around Mara's waist, carefully guiding her to their destination.

Meruem stops in front of a door, unwrapping his tail from around Mara. Taking her hand in his own, he opens the door and leads her into the palace's ballroom. The two stand on the upper level, a grandiose staircase on either side of them leading to a lower level dance floor. Upon entering, the fragrant smell of flowers hits Mara's nose, intriguing her further. She squeezes Meruem's hand, eager for him to undo her blindfold. He gently leads her to the edge of the staircase, an indoor balcony overlooking the dance floor below them.*

Meruem

"Tonight, I want to show you how much you mean to me... and to thank you."

*Still blindfolded, Mara leans into Meruem in response. Letting go of her hand, he steps behind her and undos her blindfold. As Mara's eyes adjust to the light, she slowly becomes enamored with the scene in front of her.

Throughout the ballroom are intricate arrangements of flowers and plants. Mara immediately notices the daffodils, recognizing them as the flower she grew for Meruem to demonstrate her nen. Her eyes continue to wander, falling on a small table set up in the middle of the dance floor. Candles dimly burn on the table, softly illuminating the surrounding area. Lastly, Mara noticed a human band set up on the far side of the room.

Meruem stands behind Mara, eagerly awaiting her response. As she turns around to face him, tears flow down her face.*

Meruem

"Did I do something wrong!? Why do you cry?"

*Meruem rushes to Mara, cupping her face and wiping the tears off of her. His eyes soften as he looks at Mara, his heart screaming at him to comfort the one he cherishes.